How to activate work visa? without goin to macau

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exclamation

David -

Without the China Immigration Stamp or Macau Immigration stamp in your passport HK will not recognize that you have left HK and re-entered.

I just read your first posting again where you stated that you are 'American' - assuming you also hold a US passport - the cost for a single entry visa to China for a US passport holder is approximately HK$390[More info at: http://www.fmcoprc.gov.hk/eng]

A trip to Shenzhen therefore would cost you HK390 + HK60 = HK$450 plus 90 minutes of travel time and a 1 or 2 day wait for your visa.

A trip to Macau would cost you the cost of the Ferry Tickets at approx. HK$320 plus the travel time [More info at: http://www.turbojet.com.hk/index.htm]

As for the HR Department most likely are locals and travel completely different to cross boarder destinations and Immigration processing centers. Additionally, they tend not to volunteer information even if they have it - so overtime you will surely become very good at asking questions in such a way that you will get an answer which is useful to you.

Best of Luck in your decision.

Last edited by Alby; 10-05-2007 at 01:51 PM.

The other option is to go to Immigration and apply for "Change of Status". The problem is that it seems that you have been working illegally whilst waiting for your visa to be granted so you won't have a good reason when they ask you why you were already in HK when the visa was granted.

We went to Macau to turn on hubby's dependant pass. We went through customs at Macau, had a drink and then turned around went back to HK. Not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The other option is to go to Immigration and apply for "Change of Status". The problem is that it seems that you have been working illegally whilst waiting for your visa to be granted so you won't have a good reason when they ask you why you were already in HK when the visa was granted.
    Oh this approach opens a 'PANDORA's BOX' and can make things even more complicated for both yourself and your company.

I would only suggest this approach once you have a previously existing work visa in your passport and you are just looking to renew it.

THey rejected my application for a visa last time because I was born in China. Thats my only problem. They claimed that I need to show that I received a travel visa before.Does anyone know if they will accept a copy of my old china visa as proof? If it wasnt for that then I would just go to shenzhen.

Bit confused by this. You dont have to leave hong kong to activate visa of any kind, thats one of the biggest myths in hong kong. Ring Immigration they do it for you at the place in wan chai.

Quote Originally Posted by plasticdog:
    Bit confused by this. You dont have to leave hong kong to activate visa of any kind, thats one of the biggest myths in hong kong. Ring Immigration they do it for you at the place in wan chai.
    Even immigration is confused about this themselves. I had a friend who had an immigration officer hand her the work visa at the Wanchai and he told her specifically that she has to exit the county to get her visa turned on. And she asked can't they do it for her at the office. And the answer was a NO

It depends where you applied for the visa. If you applied for the visa from within Hong Kong then you can get it "turned on" without leaving. If you applied for it from outside HK then you shouldn't be here anyway so you need to leave and re-enter.

It depends where you applied for the visa. If you applied for the visa from within Hong Kong then you can get it "turned on" without leaving. If you applied for it from outside HK then you shouldn't be here anyway so you need to leave and re-enter.
    You might be right with that. Think her work applied for her visa when she was still in Australia.

I applied for the visa while in HK, it was issued in HK, but was told by the immigration office that I had to exit HK and re-enter in order to have it activated.

Sounds like immigration's a bit muddled up themselves.