Like Tree1Likes

Claiming HK ID, was born outside HK, HK parents but dead.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Rubbish - the Chinese nationality law is clear - if the parents were both settled abroad at the time of the OP's birth and the OP acquired another nationality automatically as a result of his birth then he is not a Chinese Citizen. End of story.
    Is there any wiggle room at all in Immigration's interpretation of a parent's status at the time of birth of an Overseas Chinese. Is it really that cut and dry?

Quote Originally Posted by jchew11219:
    Is there any wiggle room at all in Immigration's interpretation of a parent's status at the time of birth of an Overseas Chinese. Is it really that cut and dry?
    Yes, it's very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairball:
    Yes, it's very clear.
    Thanks. We'll find out shortly. I truly did not know what the P2-2 status on my mom's Hong Kong passport is, and took PDLM's advice and checked "dependent" versus "permanent resident" or "indefinite stay". I submitted my QMAS and surprised I haven't received anything yet about that either.

You submitted what?
    I thought you submitted the form called
    Something like "
    Verification for eligibility of ROA in HK. "

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    You submitted what?
    I thought you submitted the form called
    Something like "
    Verification for eligibility of ROA in HK. "
    I submitted the "Verification for eligibility of ROA in HK" in April. After 6 weeks I was mailed a letter requesting additional documents. I submitted those documents almost three weeks ago, and still waiting.

Thanks. We'll find out shortly. I truly did not know what the P2-2 status on my mom's Hong Kong passport is, and took PDLM's advice and checked "dependent" versus "permanent resident" or "indefinite stay". I submitted my QMAS and surprised I haven't received anything yet about that either.
    It makes me wonder what the HK government will take it as if even the US government doesn't know what P2-2 is. Will they err on the side that your mom was a dependent or that she was a PR?

P2-2 visa status is some kind of unlawful permanent resident in the US. You need to prove your mom is settled in HK at the time of your birth in order to get the HKROA.