Like Tree15Likes

Possible to Lose RTL (Right to Land)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

2047 is only 37 years away, and I suspect the time will fly by!

But I'd be interested to hear speculation on what happens to HK RTL ID holders by then too....

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    2047 is only 37 years away, and I suspect the time will fly by!

But I'd be interested to hear speculation on what happens to HK RTL ID holders by then too....
    I'd be even more interested in what the political system would be like in 2047!
    dear giant and dossier like this.

Eventually they'll take the border away and integrate HK into the mainland; and the question becomes whether RTL holders gain greater benefits or lose the entitlement entirely. Remember governments can abitrarily change immigration laws. The UK has done this on a number of occasions to the detriment of new immigrants / potential new immigrants etc..

dear giant and paul9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Eventually they'll take the border away and integrate HK into the mainland; and the question becomes whether RTL holders gain greater benefits or lose the entitlement entirely. Remember governments can abitrarily change immigration laws. The UK has done this on a number of occasions to the detriment of new immigrants / potential new immigrants etc..
    Indeed - as with the 3 year/36 month rule for non-CC holders of ROA. There was no big announcement over it - the first that people heard of it was anecdotal experiences from those affected.

It demonstrated that ROA, for non-CCs, was not an absolute right, as it could be downgraded. It follows therefore that the RTL may also be an insecure right, should the authorities wish to change the rules.

I also agree that HK will not remain a separate immigrational entity forever. The 50 years autonomy was intended to be a transitional period to allow for a gradual integration. It was a far sighted wise move by the late Deng, back in the mid-80s settling the future of post-97 Hong Kong; we later saw with the reunification of Germany the problems that can arise with overnight integration.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    dear giant, paul9 and dossier like this.

So how does one determine if they have Chinese Citizen ROA status or a foreigner ROA status?

If you have three stars on your HKID you are a Chinese citizen.

The one exception is if you are stateless, in which case you can also get three stars (since the three stars technically mean you are eligible for a Hong Kong Re-entry Permit).

But if you have a passport (any passport) and three stars, that would indicate that you are a Chinese citizen.

PDLM likes this.

Is there a difference between the Permanent ID Card foreigners get when they resided in Hong Kong for 7 consecutive years and the the so-called "3-stars ID card" of the locals?

If yes, what's the differences besides the 3 stars on their ID card?

Surely by 2047 the RTL status will be renamed to RTB (Right-To-Beam down).

"Beam me up, Scotty!"

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    Is there a difference between the Permanent ID Card foreigners get when they resided in Hong Kong for 7 consecutive years and the the so-called "3-stars ID card" of the locals?

*** gets you a home return permit.

Others will still need a visa to visit China.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:

One is for foreigners the other for Chinese nationals.
    There are different regulations to it, e.g. terms of validity.
    Having said that, from what I have read there are some foreigners who mistakenly have 3 stars on their HKPID card. BUt it does not really matter because your nationality is on file with IMMI, that's what they check when renewing it or verifying whether you are entitled for a Chinese passport, they don't go by the 3 stars.