Like Tree18Likes

urgent please help. Need advise on overstayed vistor visa in hk for 12 days

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Exclamation urgent please help. Need advise on overstayed vistor visa in hk for 12 days

I have unintentionally overstayed my visa in Hong Kong as my Canadian passport was in the process of being renewed and hence was out of my possession longer than I expected. I was not able to exit Hong Kong before my visa expired. I am only in the city to visit my daughters and son who have been working here for the last 4 years. Please if anyone can give me some advice on wat to do next. And any idea wat kinds of restrictions on re entry or fines. Would really appreciate any and all advice.. Thank you so much in advance.
    Karen Huang likes this.

Laws of HK, Cap115 s.41

Any person who contravenes a condition of stay in force in respect of him shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine at level 5 and to imprisonment for 2 years.
    Try not to drop the soap in the showers.
    Last edited by PDLM; 26-06-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    DE FACTO EXPAT and JHCH like this.

Go straight to immigration in the morning and explain the situation.

If it's a genuine reason which it seems to be I'm sure they'll be sympathetic and give you a slapped wrist and send you on your way.

Perhaps, but you'll need a very good reason why you're going now, and not about 14 days ago when it became clear that you weren't going to get your passport back in time to exit.

Satay Sue likes this.

Did the Canadian consulate give you advice on the matter? I don't think passport renewal is a very good excuse to stand on, but I am sure they will be decently understanding especially if you "Turn yourself in". I would expect you to be slapped on the wrist though, possibly a ban from re-entering Hong Kong for X months/years.

Could I do a "visa run" through Macau/shenzhen instead of going straight to the immigration.?

Quote Originally Posted by dpictureq:
    Could I do a "visa run" through Macau/shenzhen instead of going straight to the immigration.?
    You could try, but since HK has exit controls, you'll probably be flagged and they'd take you in for questioning. It might be better to turn yourself in and get legal advice.

If you try a visa run then they will see that you have overstayed and you will be in serious shit. GO TO IMMIGRATION.

I'm surprised you were allowed to travel, on a plane presumably, if your passport needs to be renewed within a visa period.

Last edited by Ramdom; 27-06-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpictureq:
    You need to turn yourself in tomorrow. If you try to leave you will be arrested at the place you are trying to leave from and likely treated as someone who overstayed and tried to escape. Very possible you will be deported and never welcomed back if you do that. Jail time is also possible.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast