HKSAR Passport - Am I eligible?

Closed Thread

Talking HKSAR Passport - Am I eligible?

I was born in the Philippines therefore currently holding a Philippine-issued passport. I also hold a ROA permanent identity card with "AO" as its code.

As a child, I used to have a card with "*AFOY" but because I was not able to return every 3 years, I had to reapply months before I turned 21 years old and was granted a new ROA card, this time without any stars.

My mother and father are both HK born Chinese both holding HKSAR passports. My father is a naturalized filipino making him a dual citizen. Mom still stays in HK.

Basically, I got my Philippine citizenship thru my father, and applied for HKID thru my mother. Will I be able to apply for a HKSAR passport? What if I renounce my Philippine citizenship? Not that I will, but just out of curiosity.

Appreciate any help I can get!

The key question is whether or not you are a Chinese Citizen. And that depends on whether your mother and father were "settled" in the Philippines at the time of your birth. If at least one of them wasn't settled (meaning they didn't have permanent residence in the Philippines) at that time then you are a Chinese Citizen and you should have a *** HKID card. The whole 3 year thing is a total misunderstanding - if you are a Chinese citizen of HK then you don't lose that regardless of how often your return.

The 3 year rule is ONLY relevant to people who have acquired Permanent Residence by living in HK for 7 years. They can be downgraded to Right to Land if they don't visit at least every 3 years. There is no "3 year rule" related to Chinese Citizenship.

Thanks for the fast response. My father was already a naturalized Filipino citizen at the time of my birth while my mother managed to get a permanent residence status at that time. I don't know if it matters but her permanent resident status has long been expired after she went back to HK at the time I was 2 years old.

All that matters is her status at the time of your birth. If she was a permanent resident at that time then you are not a Chinese Citizen and you are no different from any other foreigner. The only way to acquire Chinese Citizenship would be to renounce all other citizenships.

Last edited by PDLM; 27-06-2011 at 01:53 PM.

According to the laws of the Philippines, were you a national of the Philippines when you were born?

Quote Originally Posted by annchong71:
    I was born in the Philippines therefore currently holding a Philippine-issued passport. I also hold a ROA permanent identity card with "AO" as its code.

As a child, I used to have a card with "*AFOY" but because I was not able to return every 3 years, I had to reapply months before I turned 21 years old and was granted a new ROA card, this time without any stars.

My mother and father are both HK born Chinese both holding HKSAR passports. My father is a naturalized filipino making him a dual citizen. Mom still stays in HK.

Basically, I got my Philippine citizenship thru my father, and applied for HKID thru my mother. Will I be able to apply for a HKSAR passport? What if I renounce my Philippine citizenship? Not that I will, but just out of curiosity.

Thanks for the fast response. My father was already a naturalized Filipino citizen at the time of my birth while my mother managed to get a permanent residence status at that time. I don't know if it matters but her permanent resident status has long been expired after she went back to HK at the time I was 2 years old.
    it does not look good.
    however, I suggest to ask HK Immi instead.

Hi, if your Mother had Permanent Residence in Pilippines when you were born then you are not recognised as a Chinese Citizen. You may have obtained HK PR before the handover. Thus is you are not a Chinese Citizen then you are not entitled for a HKSAR passport. Thanks, mwong9413.