Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Immigration Dept online renewals

Closed Thread

Immigration Dept online renewals

Has anyone successfully used the online renewal service? I am finding it impossible to upload my files. They have to be at least 200dpi but less than 1MB. According to my husband - who works in IT - this is an impossibility and we can't get the files to be less than 1MB and still 200dpi.

I will try to helpline number given but don't hold out much hope for it being helpful.

It's perfectly possible - as noted on the ImmD site you need to use a compressing format such as .JPG not a simple bitmap. Clearly online application is suitable only for those with a basic IT knowledge; I pity the company that relies on your husband for IT support.

Last edited by PDLM; 03-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.

I applied online for myself and 3 dependents. No problems. Super convenient and it meant only 1 trip to Wan Chai instead of 2

Sent from my LT15i using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by AIP:
    Has anyone successfully used the online renewal service? I am finding it impossible to upload my files. They have to be at least 200dpi but less than 1MB. According to my husband - who works in IT - this is an impossibility and we can't get the files to be less than 1MB and still 200dpi.

I will try to helpline number given but don't hold out much hope for it being helpful.
    Hi, I did it. I remember I shrunk my files by opening the images one by one in Microsoft Office by right clicking on the file and choosing Open With & Microsoft Office. Then I cropped the white space out of the scans of IDs, passports, etc.

Try that..

Thanks, it's useful to know that some people have been able to do it. I have already been trying to compress the files before first posting but they are still either too big or too low res and get rejected. I am using jpg format.

The helpline was no use, we were on hold for 30 mins (having pressed to select English) and when we finally got through the person couldn't speak English and just hung up on us.

I am trying to submit renewal for my domestic helper visa - no doubt many domestic helpers have the necessary IT skills and access to equipment to apply online but mine doesn't so I was doing it for her. Looks like I will just have to ask her to go to Immigration after all.

I just used Canon Photoshop to compress at about 60% of original size and it was fine.

Has the turnaround for DV processing increased? Last time I did a manual application it took 2 weeks from application day to receipt of new visa. This time using the online system it is over 3 weeks (applied on the 13th June but can't pick it up until the 5th July).

Thanks, it's useful to know that some people have been able to do it. I have already been trying to compress the files before first posting but they are still either too big or too low res and get rejected. I am using jpg format.
    And you husband who works in IT can't help?

Thanks for all the tips. I gave up asking my husband and managed to do it myself using Picasa (he was using some fancy pants programme which didn't do the job for some reason). Now successfully uploaded and should get the result in 10 working days. Without this forum my helper would be spending the best part of the day queuing at Immg tower.

My husband works in the IT sector but not on a helpdesk. He deals with high level strategies. Seemed like a good person to ask on a Sunday afternoon but glad I was able to turn to you guys to find out what I was trying to do wasn't impossible. PDLM, you may not be impressed by my husband's IT skills (I'm with you there in this case) but maybe you need to revise your knowledge of the IT sector, there is a huge breadth and depth of jobs within it, IT support is just a minor part of it.

PDLM, you may not be impressed by my husband's IT skills (I'm with you there in this case) but maybe you need to revise your knowledge of the IT sector, there is a huge breadth and depth of jobs within it, IT support is just a minor part of it.
    Not know exactly which package to use is fine (although he should be able to find one fairly quickly). But somebody involved in IT strategy apparently not knowing about data compression, at least in concept, I find rather, er, surprising.
    zerozeroseven likes this.