Q: I am going to be assigned by oversea headquarter to work for a foreign-invested company in Shanghai, and I sign my contract with the oversea headquarter that pays me salary. In this situation, is it necessary for me to go through formalities for employment certificates?

A: If the remuneration of assigned foreigner is paid abroad, he or she may be exempted from the Employment License and Employment Permit, provided he or she will work for less than 3 months in China. However, if the working period will be more than 3 months in a year, application for Employment License and Employment Permit has to be made.