Is it difficult to get a visa for a mainland Chinese person? I've heard its more difficult than hiring a westerner?

Closed Thread

Is it difficult to get a visa for a mainland Chinese person? I've heard its more difficult than hiring a westerner?

Hi all,

I run a business in Hong Kong and I'm hiring for a particular role. I interviewed an excellent person this morning who resides in main land China. I've been told its more difficult to get a visa for someone who is mainland Chinese? Has anyone any experience with this? Can you offer any advice? Or does anyone know a reputable visa agent I can go to?

Cheers,

D

In general, Mainland Chinese need to apply under a different category of visa (Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP)), and I believe it is a little harder than a standard Employment Visa.

An exception is IF the mainland Chinese person holds the right of permanent residence in some other country (e.g. a US Green Card) or IF the applicant has been residing overseas for at least one year immediately before the submission of application ("overseas" means countries or territories outside the Mainland, the Macao SAR and the HKSAR) and the application is submitted from overseas, then they can apply under the same General Employment Programme as other foreigners.

A second exception is if they are a graduate of a HK University then they can more readily get a visa under the "Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)".

More details here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    In general, Mainland Chinese need to apply under a different category of visa (Admission Scheme for Mainland Talents and Professionals (ASMTP)), and I believe it is a little harder than a standard Employment Visa.

An exception is IF the mainland Chinese person holds the right of permanent residence in some other country (e.g. a US Green Card) or IF the applicant has been residing overseas for at least one year immediately before the submission of application ("overseas" means countries or territories outside the Mainland, the Macao SAR and the HKSAR) and the application is submitted from overseas, then they can apply under the same General Employment Programme as other foreigners.

A second exception is if they are a graduate of a HK University then they can more readily get a visa under the "Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG)".

More details here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    that you for the response, its very helpful!