Can your kids attend a local school if you are on a work visa

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No, born in the UK.

then I guess that blows my friends so called expert knowledge out of the window :-)

All is very clear on the EMB website. If you have a valid visa and the child is on a dependant visa then they can study in local schools. The government positively encourages it although this may not filter down to the school level!

Hi Jaykay

What is the EMB website?

Thanks

Education and Manpower Bureau. God bless google!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    All is very clear on the EMB website. If you have a valid visa and the child is on a dependant visa then they can study in local schools. The government positively encourages it although this may not filter down to the school level!
    I have had a look and can't find anything that specifically that says one way or the other. Can you post a link?

Tried calling the EMB - was passed around between 7 different people and departments and still no one able to give me an answer!

Last person I spoke to said HK schools are only for HK people, not foreigners. Foreigners have to use ESF schools or equivalent and should demand a schooling allowance from their future employer. Pretty poor.

HKNewBi - I could try and get someone in the govt to look at this thread and provide a response if you are still desperate for an accurate answer.

Thanks KIA

They said they would get back to me in 2 days with an answer. If I don't hear back I will take you up on your kind offer.

Cheers!

I work in a local sch. I've noticed that there are 2 Sporean kids, I flilipino boy, and 1 boy whose dad is filipino and mum, American. But I don't know if their parents are perm residents here.