Can your kids attend a local school if you are on a work visa

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The maids from Philippinos don't bring their children to Hong Kong. I suppose white collar expats use their own money to send their children to private schools. I don't know if government schools are for children of expats. Don't assume there are quality government schools available.

It seems pretty clear to me that EMB provides universal basic education from age 6 to 15 for any children resident in Hong Kong. But at Primary level only Chinese language schools exist. At secondary level there are some English medium schools.

The EMB website has masses and masses of information regarding the education of non-Chinese speaking (NCS) children. This would seem to be the best place to start: http://www.emb.gov.hk/index.aspx?nodeID=4211&langno=1

Quote Originally Posted by TMIO:
    The maids from Philippinos don't bring their children to Hong Kong
    Who mentioned anything about maids and their kids?

Even if children with dependent visas can attend government schools, some schools have very high academic admission standards, and have long waiting lists.

Quote Originally Posted by TMIO:
    The maids from Philippinos don't bring their children to Hong Kong. I suppose white collar expats use their own money to send their children to private schools. I don't know if government schools are for children of expats. Don't assume there are quality government schools available.
    My father's helper from the philippines kids attended govt school in Hong Kong.

They ended up quad lingual (english, tagalog, mandarin and cantonese) as a result. Suggests there is some quality to be found.