Type of Visa for Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Question Type of Visa for Hong Kong

Hiya,

I am a young Kiwi planning a move to Hong Kong in November and am unsure which type of visa to apply for.

I don't have a job there yet and will be completing my degree while I am over there through distance learning. Would I be eligible for a working visa?

The other alternative is to get a dependent visa. My boyfriend has a good over there (he is a NZer also) and is on an employment visa. Do you have to be married to get this type of visa? The HK government doesn't say you have to be wed, just that you need proof of your relationship which we have with our current apartment lease and joint account.

So, basically I am looking for suggestions as to which visa would best suit me.

Thanks!

Kate

right now, no visa would suit you.

1) for a dependent visa: you must be married
    2) for a work visa: you must (a) have a company willing to sponsor you; (b) have skills that are not readily available in hk and (c) have that visa application approved by immig

so, either get married and apply for a dependent visa or start looking for a job now and hope against hope that there is something special that you can offer that is not already available in hk.

good luck!

You would be eligible for a working holiday visa. Have a look here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

sorry, i didn't realise that was open to Kiwis otherwise i would have mentioned it...

Ah wonderful, I didn't know about that! It says I'd need a return ticket.. would I be able to go back to HK after that? As I would have completed my degree by then so should be eligible for a proper employment visa.

Quote Originally Posted by k8s:
    Ah wonderful, I didn't know about that! It says I'd need a return ticket.. would I be able to go back to HK after that? As I would have completed my degree by then so should be eligible for a proper employment visa.
    You are only eligible for an employment visa if you find a job and a company willing to sponsor you.

Depends if you can find a company to sponsor you. Or, get married.

Make sure you get a ticket that allows changes at little or no cost or you can get a refund easily.

The other alternative is to get a dependent visa. My boyfriend has a good over there (he is a NZer also) and is on an employment visa. Do you have to be married to get this type of visa? The HK government doesn't say you have to be wed, just that you need proof of your relationship which we have with our current apartment lease and joint account.
    Yes, you have to be married. So as others have stated, you either need to do that or get a Working Holiday Visa.