Lost ID Card but need to travel before a new one can be issued

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    I tried re-entering once on my Canadian passport as my work visa renewal had not come through before I left. The Immigration officer was NOT pleased and my ID was demanded.

Point is - I'd not leave before reporting it and getting something from them before leaving.
    OK but I think he is in the opposite situation - he has a valid visa but has lost his ID. Sounds like you had your ID but your visa hadn't been approved. The visa is more important than the ID.

But sure, he can apply for his replacement ID now and get a temporary paper ID saying that his replacement card is being processed so actually he will have 'ID' anyway. He just won't be able to use the thumbprint entry gates so will need to queue up at the desks.

"Not pleased" is a very accurate and useful comment as it happens to be true.

Similar thing happened to me, I had to leave HKG but misplaced my ID (found it later). When leaving as well as coming back to HK, I was hassled with a lot of pointy questions and the officer was not happy at all.

They let me thru anyway, but with a lot of "dont do it again" type of comments in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    OK but I think he is in the opposite situation - he has a valid visa but has lost his ID. Sounds like you had your ID but your visa hadn't been approved. The visa is more important than the ID.

But sure, he can apply for his replacement ID now and get a temporary paper ID saying that his replacement card is being processed so actually he will have 'ID' anyway. He just won't be able to use the thumbprint entry gates so will need to queue up at the desks.
    My point was to illustrate too that OP should get that process going BEFORE leaving.

Yes, my visa was expired on the Friday - I came back Sunday and the renewal notice was in my mail box arriving in the week I was gone. I went in Monday and got it done.

I would not rec'd just leaving and not going to Immigration first. That might not be smart.

Sure, I think we're all in agreement actually, just clarifying the details. Just ignore the snarky comments from the usual suspect and we're all good.

you'll be issued with a temp id paper on the spot which allows you to travel.
    it looks like this

Last edited by dumbdonkey; 22-08-2011 at 04:08 PM.

My wallet with my ID card was stolen whilst I was overseas, on my way to the airport to return to HK. So I had to come back through immigration without ID, and without yet having reported it stolen to Immigration. It was absolutely no issue whatsoever - they just told me to report it to Immigration and get a replacement.

Cheers All for the helpful advice!