Like Tree50Likes

help with keeping my chinese GF in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

help with keeping my chinese GF in HK

Hi all, would appreciate some help here.

I am an expat here on a working visa, she is mainland chinese on their working visa thingy.

Everything has been great, she was going to move in soon and our long term plan was to move back to australia in a few years under a defacto visa.

The problem is she got into a fight with her boss and he told her that he will not be renewing her work visa (which runs out in 1 1/2 months). So i need options for keeping her here in HK.

1) Look for a job and get a new sponser - will be tough in the small amount of time she has.

2) Enroll in uni and do her MBA - she was thinking about this anyway, get a student visa. Problem is uni has already started? how tough is it to enroll?

3) Something else that i am missing? Can she get an extension on her visa.

4) Marry her (a little drastic considering we have only been together for 5 months)

Reading this forum it seems like mainland chinese get special treatment (the bad kind) when it comes to visa's ... could really ruin our plans.

Thanks for any help

yep, mainlanders are treated completely differently than people from other countries when it comes to immigration.

maybe she could bite the bullet and try to make peace with her boss???

If you don't want to marry her, follow the local practice and install her in a mistress village in Shenzhen...?

Ummm don't wish to sound harsh but plans to move to Australia after less than 5 months together?
    The cynic in me says ' extended Visa' 'Passport' etc etc

She needs to start looking for a new job now if she hasn't done so already, You're going to have to network your butt off asap to try and get her something.

Anyway of her sucking up to the boss to get them to change their mind? I'm surprised she wasn't terminated on the spot to be honest, What's the point in keeping a disgruntled member of staff on board now?

dear giant likes this.

Also if marrying her it's possible that also won't work. Doesn't Mainland dependent visa holders require an already existing foreign resident permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Also if marrying her it's possible that also won't work. Doesn't Mainland dependent visa holders require an already existing foreign resident permit?
    No - only for HK Permanent Residents. If you are a non-permanent resident then your mainland Chinese wife can get a Dependant Visa in the normal way. This is the only downside to getting Permanent Residence.
    Gatts likes this.

What line ofwork is she in?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I'm surprised she wasn't terminated on the spot to be honest, What's the point in keeping a disgruntled member of staff on board now?
    Probably:
    a. just threatening her
    b. contract terms

I would go with making peace with her boss, not sure how serious the issue is but I'm sure an apology should suffice.

Well, looks like it is 'fish or cut bait' time w/r/to your girlfriend. While the situation is not optimal, it is no different than any situation where two people meet, and after a few months one of them gets transferred to another country or city. I am assuming, of course, that your gfriend is being completely honest with you about this and not just 'testing' how much you love her!

You have to decide whether you care about her enough to marry her, or have her go back to the mainland, and move on. You have nothing to feel bad about either way.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    You have to decide whether you care about her enough to marry her, or have her go back to the mainland, and move on. You have nothing to feel bad about either way.
    Or have her move back to the mailland for a while until she gets a job back in HK (in a few months time, a year at most if she is a well trained professionnal in a "good" industry) and keep the long distance relationship going during this time.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast