Is my Hong ID from 1994 still valid

Closed Thread

Is my Hong ID from 1994 still valid

Hi

I left Hong Kong in 1994 after being resident for 3 years. Will my card still be valid or will I have to reapply for residency?

Depends on your status, but from you imply of it, I doubt it is still valid.

Unless you are Chinese and have HK permanent residency by virtue of a close connection with Hong Kong (e.g. birth), then your previous residency status will have lapsed.

In any case, old cards are being phased out following completion of the Smart ID card replacement program, all the old ones will be invalid, if not already, by mid-September this year.

I was in Hongkong for 1 year in 2001 and I had a HKID (the old laminated one). Then I left, thinking I wouldn't be back, during which I lost my HKID card. Then in 2006 I came back and I applied for another HKID. The immigation guy asked for my old HKID. When I said I don't have it anymore, he charged me 300HKD for loosing the card. So, keep your old HKID, it might save you some money.

Thanks for the info. I have also looked up the required information on the HK Immigration website. You are absolutely right it has lapsed as I have been out of Hong Kong for more than 36 months. It does say that I will be entitled to admission to HK and that I am still entitled to live and work there. A bit bizarre but I am glad as I very much want to return.

Only if you had Permanent Residence. If you were born somewhere else, are not Chinese and just lived here for 3 years in the early 90s I'm afraid that gives you nothing - you have to get a visa just like anyone else.