Like Tree10Likes

HELP!! mainland passport holder, living in US, applying for HK working visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP!! mainland passport holder, living in US, applying for HK working visa

Hi everyone, i'm a mainland China passport holder, who currently working in the US (got my master degree in US and have stayed in US for more than two years). My company is transferring me to its HK office, and HK office already helped submit visa application for general employment to immigration office last month.

I think I have competitive edge compared to HK locals:
    1.I'm fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin, and English;
    2.My working experience in the US company can help HK office's business (the US company is the world headquarter);
    3.HK office is handling a lot of mainland business, which I can provide a lot of insights.

However, there're still some concerns:
    1. I do not have enough working experience (have worked for only 9 months in US so far).
    2. The position HK office offered me is still entry level, with less than 15K salary.
    3. It may be easy to find locals to fill the position since I'm working in communication/advertising field.

I'm wondering what's my chance of getting the visa successfully... If I get rejected, can I appeal? thanks everyone in advance!!!

How much are you currently earning in the United States? If you were moving here directly from a rural part of the Mainland, then the transition might not be so jarring but if you have been living a relatively middle-class lifestyle in the USA, you will struggle in HK on $15K (assuming that's $HKD/month).

If you're on an internal transfer with a significant multinational that already employs other expats here then the chances are generally very high.

But less than HK$15K per month? That's an extraordinarily low salary for someone that the company values enough to move around the world. What sort of relocation package are they offering you? Any accommodation allowance? You'd use more than half of that to get an even half decent place of your own a long way from the office (assuming it's in Central).

My guess is that you'll still get it (although in principle there's an appeal process I don't hear much about it), but it may depend on how good a justification your employer wrote for why they need you and not some local employee.

Last edited by PDLM; 13-10-2011 at 01:11 AM.

im earning much more than i will be in HK. however, the major reason i would like to relocate to HK is my family.... want to be closer to them... also, my bf is a HK native, we have been in long distance relationship for a long time, and would like to settle down in HK asap...

dear giant likes this.

Thanks!!!
    I know the relocation package and salary is not good compared to my life in the US. but as I mentioned in my last reply that the main reason to relocate to HK is for my family and my bf. as to the housing in HK, my bf can help me with that... so that's why i feel okay with the offer. however, i'm getting concern about whether low salary can be a reason for immigration officer to reject my application ><

dear giant likes this.

In this case the answer is simple - you marry your boyfriend and get a Dependant Visa. As a Mainland Citizen with (I assume) permanent residence (Green Card) in the US that should be straightforward, and then you can go and get a job which pays you a sensible amount of money without needing sponsorship from your employer.

dear giant likes this.

correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there a minimum threshold of HK$20,000 in terms of monthly salary before a work visa is granted by Immigration HK?

It's not a hard fast rule - visas have been granted below that threshold according to other people's reports here.

I'm not a green card holder in US though... also, we're not planning to marry this soon... besides, i prefer to get job thing settled in HK first before considering marriage. But anyway, thanks you guys a lot for providing advice and info!! I have been anxious about this for weeks, and still waiting for the result of my application. Fingers crossed!!

Quote Originally Posted by JHCH:
    correct me if I am wrong, but isnt there a minimum threshold of HK$20,000 in terms of monthly salary before a work visa is granted by Immigration HK?

OMG... but the standard salary for my position is less than 20K in HK no matter how... i'm afraid my HK employer would not willing to increase it for me since I will be getting local pay based on the contract

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast