Like Tree6Likes

Another question about visas.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    A friend of my wife's uncle (who lives in mainland china) asked my wife if she has a British passport now. She said no and unless we decide to move to england for a few years she won't get one anyway, and that actually HK is better for us to live anyway, right now.

He said "Can't you just buy one?"

This mindset underlines that rules are there to be broken in China!
    actualeeeee, what he said isn't breaking a rule, unless he meant on the blackmarket.

in fact english speaking countries have many different ways to obtain a passport, and some methods are simply with cash investments. all legal options.

and of course it could have nothing to do at all with your perceived reason and the guy is the type who likes to try to show off by 'dropping' not so subtle comments which he think is a reflection of his superiority. But in reality has the opposite effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    actualeeeee, what he said isn't breaking a rule, unless he meant on the blackmarket.
    I think he did mean on the black market. Or at least through some kind of bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdom:
    and of course it could have nothing to do at all with your perceived reason and the guy is the type who likes to try to show off by 'dropping' not so subtle comments which he think is a reflection of his superiority. But in reality has the opposite effect.

I just thought it was interesting that he felt something like a foreign passport could be attained with money. I don't think he was trying to show off but genuinely assumed that with money you can get what you want.

Actually I don't really understand what you're saying here!
    Last edited by justjoe86; 20-10-2011 at 03:36 PM.

hmmm..well i'm sure it can be explained better but as long as you think he didn't meant anything else then that's all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjpirated:
    Like I said, they would have sent the passport to Singapore or Malaysia and got the visa from the China Consulate from that jurisdiction. One agent actually told me this, that's how they get it down.

In TST, some agents even courier the passport to US, they have corrupt officers in China Consulate there. The standard fees charged to get a 1 year China visiting visa is HK$ 6,500.00. You can enquire in any of those Travel Agency run by South East Asians.
    Agents use the visa office in Wanchai to get most visas. You can pay extra for 'rush service' and get the visa in 24 hours. Some agents can even get it done same day.

If you have a US passport, then it can be a good idea to send your passport back to the US to get a Chinese visa as that way you can get a one year multi entry, while applying in Hong Kong limits a tourist from the US to a 6 month multi entry, if they are lucky.

I just thought it was interesting that he felt something like a foreign passport could be attained with money. I don't think he was trying to show off but genuinely assumed that with money you can get what you want.
    Doesn't HK$10 million give you the chance to apply for a HKSAR passport legally?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Doesn't HK$10 million give you the chance to apply for a HKSAR passport legally?
    A visa to Hong Kong is not a passport, right?

All I know reagrding buying a passport is that mr al fayed, the guy who owned harrods, couldn't get a British passport.

Then again, he did accuse the royal family of killing his son.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    A visa to Hong Kong is not a passport, right?
    After seven years you can apply for right of abode and then you have the chance to apply for the HKSAR passport.

All I know reagrding buying a passport is that mr al fayed, the guy who owned harrods, couldn't get a British passport.

Then again, he did accuse the royal family of killing his son.
    Nah, the UK government hated him before he accused the royal family of killing Dodi. I presume he insisted MPs actually paid for their purchases when they shopped in Harrods (although they probably claimed it back on expenses anyway lol). The assassination plot probably wasn't the best tactical move if he still wanted a UK passport though I'm proud to say that at least some things can't be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    After seven years you can apply for right of abode and then you have the chance to apply for the HKSAR passport.
    That sounds a bit more relalistic. But you didn't mention the time factor.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 21-10-2011 at 01:36 AM.