Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Current employment visa will expire before extension with change of employment processed

Closed Thread

Current employment visa will expire before extension with change of employment processed

I'm hoping someone can help me..

I changed jobs in HK recently so I need to apply for an extension of my employment visa with change of employment (which I have done, last week). My existing, current employment visa expires in a few weeks. It is likely that the visa extension with change of employment will not be processed by the time my current employment visa expires. Do I need to exit HK for a day and return as a visitor while the extension paperwork is being processed? Or can I go to Immigration Dept, explain my case and request a visitor visa? I don't want to have to pay to go to Macau if I don't have to as money is a bit tight at the moment. Does Immigration typically allow residents to remain in HK while paperwork is processed, or will I have to leave when my current visa expires and then come back once the paperwork is processed and I have my new sticker? I'm hoping this is not the case!!

I know I am not allowed to work until the paperwork is processed.

Thanks in advance!

Suggest you contact immigration. If paperwork is being processed they should be able to let you know what to do.

dipper likes this.

Yeah, like pin said, just have a chat with Immigration, they'll either rush it through, give you an extension or come to some other arrangement depending on how straightforward your application is, their workload, etc.

ok, thanks for the suggestions! I'll give them a call.

Immigration will sort it out - if your new employer has recently employed other people on Employment Visas then a transfer of sponsorship sometimes only takes 2-3 weeks. If you're thinking of staying here long term then you don't want to spend any time on a visitor visa since that would reset the PR clock.

From what I have seen if you have already applied for extension/transfer of visa, you don't have to exit the country, even if your current visa expires before new visa comes in, but, yes you can't work without visa.