Like Tree3Likes

Coming back to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Coming back to HK

I lived in HK for more than seven years in work visa and left HK in 2002. When i complete my 7 years of stay, i did not apply for a permanent id but just returned. Now, i plan to come back to Hong Kong, can i still apply for the permanent id? Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

no, afaik, it has to be applied for immediately after your 7 years comes up.

why in the world did you not apply then? silly....

has to be said it wasnt a great move..

cos once u get the perm ID - you have permanent right of abode ( i think) which means you can leave for years and still come back and a get a job with out visa hassles.

a valuable commodity...

no, it's not permanent. you have to return to hk at the minimum once every 36 months.

dear giant likes this.

is that just the permanent residency thats non permanent?

the right of abode is indefinite?

just checked...

Right to land

If you lose your right of abode in the HKSAR you will automatically acquire the right to land in the HKSAR in accordance with the law. This means that you will be able to enter Hong Kong freely to live, study or work without any restriction.

You may ascertain whether you have lost the status of a permanent resident of the HKSAR by applying for verification of eligibility for a permanent identity card with the Right of Abode Section of the Immigration Department for assessment of whether you have lost the permanent resident status and have the right to land in the HKSAR.

Last edited by audiot; 03-11-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It "downgrades" from ROA to RTL for non-Chinese citizens.

To the OP, Immd looks at the seven years immediately preceding your application.

Proof of 7 years continuous ordinary residence in Hong Kong immediately before the date of the application for permanent resident status...
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 03-11-2011 at 04:31 PM.

not sure of the difference?

For us foreigners, Once you get Right of abode. you'll have to maintain it by visiting HK once every 3 years if you live abroad. if you don't visit HK in those 3 years then you will be downgraded to Right to land - which means your an ordinary resident (Must change ID card) and can still work/live in HK without restriction and its for life no need to maintain that.

If your a Chinese citizen or Chinese by birth - the above does not apply

Watercooler likes this.

So...apart from the admin time in changing your ID card, there is no practical difference?

Last edited by luckycat; 03-11-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    not sure of the difference?
    Once you got the Right of abode:
    - Cannot be deported
    - Can vote
    - one more thing, can't remember

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast