Like Tree1Likes

getting working visa non-grad

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

getting working visa non-grad

Hi everyone,
    I am moving to hong kong in January to study at Hong kong University and my boyfriend is moving with me. He will not be studying and therefore will require a working visa so he plans on coming on a tourist visa and looking for a job while he's out there. He ideally would like to work in a high end restaurant/bar or private club. He doesn't have a degree but he has substantial experience (over 5 years) working in top end restaurants and bars and he speaks 4 languages (unfortunately not chinese). I was just wondering people's opinions on whether he will be able to find a job and someone to sponsor him? and his overall chances of getting a visa?

Thank you
    Fran

Slim. Unless you get married, but even then the visa he would get wouldn't allow him to work (assuming you have a Study Visa).

depending on his nationality he can get a working holiday visa

Quote Originally Posted by Francescac:
    substantial experience (over 5 years)
    I know I'm getting old becuase 5 years doesn't sound very substantial to me!

Anyway, he has zero chance of getting a bartender/waiter visa!

What country is he from?

WHV might be the best bet...

he's italiain! do you think he would be able to get the working holiday visa?

No, Italians are not eligible for working holiday visas.

Better looking for a job as a language tutor maybe?

>> he has zero chance of getting a bartender/waiter visa!

How about front of house manager at a posh European restaurant in IFC?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> he has zero chance of getting a bartender/waiter visa!

How about front of house manager at a posh European restaurant in IFC?
    No degree, no Chinese language ability, only 5 years serving experience, no management experience - no way. Restaurant managers typically have four year degrees and many years experience as an assistant manager first. They aren't often servers who worked their way up, at least not at high end places.

ps. not meaning to be rude to you shir - just don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. This really isn't a feasible option for her BF, a very, very long shot at best

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    No degree, no Chinese language ability, only 5 years serving experience, no management experience - no way. Restaurant managers typically have four year degrees and many years experience as an assistant manager first. They aren't often servers who worked their way up, at least not at high end places.

ps. not meaning to be rude to you shir - just don't want the OP to get the wrong idea. This really isn't a feasible option for her BF, a very, very long shot at best
    Can you please tell me what the difference between a 4 year degree is and a 3 year bachelor degree? (UK/AU/Where ever) Like many of my friends are getting bachelor of business in hotel management, management, international business, economics, accounting and so on and each of them is undertaking a 3 year degree.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast