Like Tree3Likes

special skills- employment visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

special skills- employment visa

Can anyone tell me if they think speaking four languages fluently would count as special skills on an employment visa application?

thanks

is the job as a translator?

>> is the job as a translator?

Not always the case.

If you were a corporate lawyer for example, speaking 4 languages would give you an edge at an international firm that needs a lawyer who speaks and can work in those languages.

Same could go for any industry - PR, editorial work etc.

PDLM - It is even relevant for the F&B industry, depending on the clientele you're serving. God knows many restaurants charge extra for the crap they serve because their staff have fancy accents.

mercury_element and Khema like this.

of course the languages could be useful in many different jobs... my point was that without knowing more about (1) the job and (2) the requirements for the job, it is impossible to say...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you were a corporate lawyer for example, speaking 4 languages would give you an edge at an international firm that needs a lawyer who speaks and can work in those languages.
    Right, but if you are a corporate lawyer (qualified in the US, UK, etc.) even as a recent graduate, as long as you have a job offer from an international firm an employment visa isn't an issue.

For jobs where an employment visa isn't a given, and the employee doesn't have many other hard skills or qualifications, I don't think that speaking multiple languages will necessarily provide that something extra that leads to an employment visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Francescac:
    Can anyone tell me if they think speaking four languages fluently would count as special skills on an employment visa application?

thanks
    It might, but you're missing the bigger picture. No employer is going to submit an employment visa application for someone who doesn't meet the criteria. There are more than enough local employees to take up all the restaurant jobs. There are not any restaurants in HK where speaking fluent Italian (or any language other than English or Chinese) is an integral part of a server's job. Very few servers in HK are paid HK$20k or more a month as a base salary (the unofficial minimum required by immigration for an employment visa to be granted). Please look at the many posts on this site, or on the immigration web site, and review those criteria and what does, and doesn't work.

For example: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/5...ml#post1725425

For an assistant bar manager or restaurant manager position..

Quote Originally Posted by Francescac:
    For an assistant bar manager or restaurant manager position..
    very very unlikely, i am afraid no one is going to hire an 20 year old who has little real experience managing restuarant or bar, the cold truth is that working visa are really hard to get in HK on the basis a lot of people wishes to work in hk, very few get the chance.

get him to do a TEFL, offer italian tutoring is his best chances, same again with out formal qualifications very little is possible

isn't restaurant work on the list of 'no-go' for employement visas?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast