Like Tree10Likes

Jobs for Non Native Speakers in Teaching English

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jobs for Non Native Speakers in Teaching English

I would like to know abt teaching job in hk for non native speakers, one of my friend have enormous exp in teaching, she is from Indonesia. She is qualified, well exp, well trained, teaching since more than 10 years.

If she apply QMAS, what r the chances for getting visa to be approved?

Regds
    angela

i think she will have an extremely difficult time of it. even if she gets a visa approved, she will likely have a very difficult time getting a job.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i think she will have an extremely difficult time of it. even if she gets a visa approved, she will likely have a very difficult time getting a job.
    Which is a pity, because non-native speaker often make better language teachers than native ones. But, we've had this conversation before.

I wonder if the OP of the friend can apply for the NET scheme?

doesn't NET stand for Native Engish Teacher?

emx likes this.

If she has a CELTA, a degree preferably in English, and verifiable references,she can get a job.

drumbrake likes this.

doesn't NET stand for Native Engish Teacher?
    See the EDB's requirements.

Non-native speakers of English, i.e. people who have not acquired the language in early childhood, are also suitable for employment as NETs if their English competence is not different from that of native-speakers in terms of fluency, accuracy and creativity in language use.
    shri likes this.

Would this native speaker do better than a qualified non native speaker?

From The Telegraph

Could be an angle teaching Indonesians English? I would start with the consulate I suppose...any maid agencies run by English speaking bosses may be interested in interpreters..

Last edited by bryant.english; 25-11-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Carang, if she had a visa we would look at hiring her as we conduct English, Computer, Cantonese and Mandarin classes for Indonesian Helpers. The very basic English and Computer classes require Indonesian speaking teachers and we currently use dependants.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    Carang, if she had a visa we would look at hiring her as we conduct English, Computer, Cantonese and Mandarin classes for Indonesian Helpers. The very basic English and Computer classes require Indonesian speaking teachers and we currently use dependants.
    that's great. but there are not many people like you offering those types of classes. so, i still say that the chances are slim.

as for the excerpt posted above, i agree, there are some people who have abysmal English skills. as a matter of fact, my non-native English speaking students had better English than the kids my brother taught in Canada

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast