Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By PDLM
  • 1 Post By HowardCoombs

HKID - path to

Closed Thread

HKID - path to

Hello all,
    I am living in china, in a rural area not far from HK , and I visit the city 2-3 times a week. (Only chance of experiencing civilization..)
    The problem is - that much of the city services are "blocked" is some way or another from people who do not hold an HK ID - (even opening a bank account)

What is the best way to obtain one, without having a job/flat in HK ?
    Anyone knows of some offices that can help achieve that in some way ?

In my researches I have found one way which is to open a "representative" office in HK, which does not require any tax declarations, but gives a right to the "manager" to stay . would I still need to take a flat in such a case ?
    what are the requirements to get a HKID ?

What services are "blocked" exactly?

Btw, you CAN open a bank account without HKID. You just need a passport and proof of address.

in order to get a HKID, as a foreigner, you must RESIDE in hk with a LEGITIMATE visa (that allows you to reside here).

a valid HKID (linked to a valid visa) entitles you to A LOT more than opening a bank account. the gov't doesn't throw them around lightly. with a valid HKID you are eligible to use the public health system, the education system etc....

as you are residing in china, you are not eligible for a hkid card, unless, of course, you have met the requirements for Right of Abode or Right to Land or Permanent Residence..... i suggest you take a look at the immigration dept website.

hk is not a 3rd world country, where you can just buy off a local official and get what you want....(unless you are a multi-billionaire property developer)

Last edited by carang; 09-12-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    ...hk is not a 3rd world country, where you can just buy off a local official and get what you want....(unless you are a multi-billionaire property developer)
    You don't need to buy off an official neither do you need multi billions. 10 mio HK$ will do legally if you have had them for the previous 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by obmerk99:
    Hello all,
    I am living in china, in a rural area not far from HK , and I visit the city 2-3 times a week. (Only chance of experiencing civilization..)
    The problem is - that much of the city services are "blocked" is some way or another from people who do not hold an HK ID - (even opening a bank account)

What is the best way to obtain one, without having a job/flat in HK ?
    Anyone knows of some offices that can help achieve that in some way ?

In my researches I have found one way which is to open a "representative" office in HK, which does not require any tax declarations, but gives a right to the "manager" to stay . would I still need to take a flat in such a case ?
    what are the requirements to get a HKID ?
    You can form a business in HK as I have done but that does not give you the right to work in it which once a work visa is granted requires you to register and obtain the HKID.

@bibbju - the proof of address is exactly what I am talking about , what way can you get one ?

@ carang - I know that a foreigner "must" reside in HK. and yes, I have visited the immigration website , and yes, I have informed myself.
    I also know that a HKID entitles me to " A LOT more " . this is exactly why I would need it (just a small example- wasting an hour at the border every time, amounts to a lot of hours every month ) .

I do also know that HK is not a 3rd world country - this is embedded in my question (if you have read it ) - but maybe you are not aware of the fact that ALL countries have different paths (usually cash related) to residency AND citizenship. even the mighty US.
    I myself have residency now in the BVI (along with 4 different passports) - and I have never even been there (and as you might know - it is hardly a 3rd world country)
    ..and BTW - you will be surprised what you CAN buy in HK.

@ Football16 thank you - your reply is more along the lines of what I was looking for .
    I do not need the right to work :-) I already have my own companies in Europe and factories in china.
    do you know of an office / lawyer that can help with that ?

You DO need the right to reside in Hong Kong in order to get a HKID. To do that you need a visa allowing you to reside here. Sadly for you HK doesn't have "Arrogant Prat" visas available, but the closest is the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme, for which you will need to invest HK$10M that is certified is yours and has been yours for 2 years (no doubt you know an accountant that you can bribe to do this) in HK assets, not including property.

The CIES also has the advantage that unlike all the other visa types you don't actually need to reside here in order to get it renewed every 1-2 years.

bibbju, jimbo and Satay Sue like this.

obmerk: who peed in your breakfast cereal? you asked a question. i answered it. football only clarified what i said.

just because you have a business here does NOT mean you are eligible for a HKID card. follow pdlm's advice if you have that kind of money.

it's a good thing that having manners is not a requirement to obtain a visa or a HKID or else you'd be outta luck.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    obmerk: who peed in your breakfast cereal? .
    Probably the cook...
    Although I do not usually have Breakfast.
    Last edited by obmerk99; 12-12-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obmerk99:
    Probably the cook...
    Although I do not usually have Breakfast.
    Nahh, I'm pretty sure its you and your writing style and your sense of humor.

You've now started 2 threads and managed to piss of more than 4 ppl with your writing.

Whether you meant to do that or not is not known - but the fact is that you did

I'll reiterate the first friendly advice I gave you in the first thread you posted:
    "If you want friendly answers and cheerful banter, I would suggest dropping the attitude"
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 12-12-2011 at 06:28 AM.
    carang likes this.