Like Tree8Likes

Theoretical question, Taiwanese ROC passport.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Yes, you can be naturalised as a Chinese citizen. But consider the process...

You would need to first renounce your French nationality in order to gain Chinese nationality, and after that you could apply for HKSAR passport. But there is no guarantee you will be granted Chinese nationality.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

So if I renounce french nationality then get HK passport and then am refused chinese nationality, what am I ? Will I have to come back begging and sobbing to France and ask for my nationality back ? I suppose they remove the first only when you get the new nationality...

Makes me think of a guy from Palestine I met here, he had been living in dubai then got a PR from HK for free to come here do some quota work (was a long time ago) and now he's unemployed and is totally stuck: dubai won't take him back because if you abandon your visa there it's apparently impossible to get back, Palestine isn't a country, and HK is kicking him out of his gov housing.

Last edited by xwolfi; 18-06-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xwolfi:
    So if I renounce french nationality then get HK passport and then am refused chinese nationality, what am I ? Will I have to come back begging and sobbing to France and ask for my nationality back ?
    Will sell you an AFRICAN citizenship / passport for a discount

Ahahahaha well why not after all, Africa seems fun and I have the advantage to have many friends everywhere there, being french

wtbhotia likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    then got a PR from HK for free
    I don't think so.

He told me they made him come for a quota job (math teacher......), gave him PR in exchange. But well he wasn't the clearest drunk hoboe I met so I may have misunderstood.

Last edited by xwolfi; 18-06-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Merde, what was the topic again ?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by xwolfi:
    So if I renounce french nationality then get HK passport and then am refused chinese nationality, what am I ? Will I have to come back begging and sobbing to France and ask for my nationality back ? I suppose they remove the first only when you get the new nationality...
    A lot of countries will not let a person become stateless, so in practice here is how I thought it worked:

You apply for naturalization in HK.

You have an interview and all the other things first,but do not renounce yet.

You wait.

If they deny you, they will do so now.

If they approve, then you get a form stating that your naturalization has been approved-in-principle - on the condition that you renounce your current nationality.

You pass that to your country's embassy as proof of the new nationality you are getting when you renounce the old one.

Once you have proof of the renouncement, you hand that back and you become a chinese citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by IceEagle:
    That actually seems to have been the case until 1994, sort of. Before then, any ethnic Chinese could get a ROC passport - but this was useless since the military government controlling the ROC tightly controlled the immigration of all citizens. After that they started tightening the rules - if you already had a ROC passport or you had a real connection to Taiwan, then you were still recognized as such, but otherwise it was too late. It was around then that they also started distinguishing by household registration. Think of it like ROA - if you had household registration in Taiwan, you basically had ROA in Taiwan. But a lot of ROC passport holders don't have it.

Even if you had a ROC passport today, it's still pretty hard to immigrate into Taiwan and establish household registration/ROA there.

So an ROC Passport without household registration in Taiwan, is basically like a BN(O) Passport? It's a "travel document" that confers no residency rights.