HKID after QMAS visa activation

Closed Thread

HKID after QMAS visa activation

Hi guys,

I am planning to apply for HK ID card in early 2012, when I head over to HK to activate my QMAS visa. I am only going to be there for a few days and only planned to settle in HK towards end of 2012. I have planned to make my online appointment for ID card application. My questions are:

1. How long does it normally take them to process with the I/D card application?

2. Am I allowed to apply for HK ID card immnediately after activating my QMAS visa, but stayed in HK less than 30 days and not relocating until end of year?

3. Will they post the ID card to my Australian address, if it takes a few weeks to process?

4. Or am I better off to nominate my relatives in HK to pick it up?

5. Might be a silly question, but do I need to apply for ID card for my kids? (both under 5)

Cheers

Last edited by star-anise; 15-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

You can apply as soon as you've entered Hong Kong (as long as the office is open) or next working day.

I don't know if they will post overseas but you can nominate someone to pick up. They will give you a form to use for this when you apply.

Kids don't get ID cards until they are 11.

I don't think the scenario you've described is against the QMAS rules but no need to mention to the immigration officers that you are not settling in HK for another few months. You'll get a stay of 12 months in HK and then need to renew and show that you have taken steps at that point to settle in HK.

The 12 months initial stay starts from the day one activates the visa right? So if you activate it say in Jan. 2012 and go away till Dec. 2012, you are about to renew the visa which you need to show you either work in HK or set up a business in HK. Please correct me is I am not right. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    ...1. How long does it normally take them to process with the I/D card application?
    10 business days

2. Am I allowed to apply for HK ID card immnediately after activating my QMAS visa, but stayed in HK less than 30 days and not relocating until end of year?
    You can make the appointment for the day you arrive. Don't just walk in as the day's quota may be full.

3. Will they post the ID card to my Australian address, if it takes a few weeks to process?
    No.

4. Or am I better off to nominate my relatives in HK to pick it up?
    Yes.

5. Might be a silly question, but do I need to apply for ID card for my kids? (both under 5)
    Cheers
    No.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 16-12-2011 at 08:57 AM.

No, but they do need Dependant Visas.

Thanks guys. Yes, they all have dependent visas. Will visit HK and activate all of them at the same go! Cheers.

Will make online appointment about 1 month before going too.

Quote Originally Posted by HahaLady:
    The 12 months initial stay starts from the day one activates the visa right? So if you activate it say in Jan. 2012 and go away till Dec. 2012, you are about to renew the visa which you need to show you either work in HK or set up a business in HK. Please correct me is I am not right. Thanks.
    That's a good question. How you are managing this please share your secret