Like Tree2Likes

UK resident with right to abode

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My dads from Tai po, which is one of the more sort after places, I think. No I have been offered less than half your first figure. I suppose I knew nothing about it and in this financial climate every little counts. I've just read a news report where people are being offered approx 40k for their rights to build or a flat.

Might have something to do with the recent reports of owners (or heirs of owners) of village houses in abandoned villages selling their land use rights indirectly to a developer and also getting a new village house in return. It was recently written about int he SCMP, and is quasi legal but seems to have worked before.

OK, I found the article in my mail but there is no link, and you have to be a subscriber to read it anyway, so I will post it here:

Villagers profit in secret land deals

Indigenous residents sign away small housing rights in exchange for HK$500,000 or a new flat at the site, which helps developers avoid rezoning and premiums

Continue... (see first SCMP link)

Last edited by GeoTommy; 28-12-2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: too long; edited down with link

Tai Po, yeah a good transport location with "rural" appeal. The comment from Party_Crusher could also be valid if the village is already in a deal with the developer then it may well be worth trying to get what you can as you will not be living in HK.

Get them to up the ante.

I'll try but the problem is, my half brother is sorting all this out as he's got the contacts. But I suppose without me agreeing he won't make any cash. I'll keep you posted

ok, PLEASE know that NOT EVERYONE WITH 3* (caps meant for emphasis) CANNOT get the rights to build a village house!

you MUST be descended from an indigenous villager (ie your family was living in the village prior to the brits taking over the NTs in 1898).

otherwise, 9/10 of hong kong would be building village houses!

emx and Morrison like this.

oops! just noticed my double negative above!

should be NOT EVERYONE CAN GET the rights.....

Yep I am a direct descendent from the male line of an indigenous family.

Sorry yes, should have remembered to put that part in. What kind of place would HK become if anyone just starting building in other villages?

Thanks carang - long Christmas festivities.