HK dependant visa taking to long to process?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK dependant visa taking to long to process?

.. still hoping to finally release the dependant visa...its been almost 9 months already.. and still processing. All of the needed docs are submitted but why it takes too long to finalize it? Do you know some fact on how long will it take to process the said visa?

blimey, 9 months!!! that sounds way too long. Most people, if all required documents are submitted, can get theirs in less than 2 months. If your spouse is a Permanent Resident then 2 weeks is quite usual.

What are your personal circumstances?

we got married here in HK last Dec. they say that we will just wait for a "few months" and make sure that my wife's work is stable.. my wife's work is fine.. but i don't know why it takes too long...

by the way.. my wife is a permanent resident here for almost 15 years now.

Strange - there's obviously something specific about your case that makes them suspicious. Have you actually gone to Immigration Tower and asked to speak to the case officer? They have always been very straightforward in my experience.

Last edited by PDLM; 03-09-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Just email them on [email protected] with your case number and they should be able to get back to you. Or call the number of the unit that is processing your application - should be on application receipt.

well.. every docs has been submitted.. i think one reason is because my wife is receiving a financial assistance from social welfare, because of being a single parent. everytime we go to the immig., they will give a an extension of stay for a month and they will say that it is still processing..

OIC - yes - the Sponsor of a Dependant Visa holder (i.e your wife in this case) has to show that they are capable of supporting the Applicant (you). If she is herself dependant on welfare then this condition doesn't seem to be met, so I can see that this would cause ImmD a problem.

If I were you I would be attempting to show that the consequence of granting me a Dependant Visa would be that I would be able to secure work which would enable your wife to stop being Dependant on welfare. They are going to be very reluctant to grant a visa which they believe will increase the number of people on welfare (i.e. if they think you might require welfare support as well), but if you can make a strong case that you will get work and hence reduce the number of people on welfare (i.e. your income supports your wife instead of everyone else's taxes) then this might help.

my wife has a full time work... and we already explained the reason why she is receiving an assistance. definitely i can work once my visa is granted.. we are also considering to cancel the assistance from social welfare if that is the case.. but we don't know yet... they always say... still processing.. we don't know the reason why....

Quote Originally Posted by jim5130:
    .. they always say... still processing.. we don't know the reason why....
    Looks to me as though the reason is quite clear.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast