Like Tree66Likes

Need URGENT advice - visa

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by burrcl:
    Will be interesting to find out what happened and how the helper/child got on if he was left.
    ok quick update for everyone and also for the record since other people might have the same issue one day:

1. our plan of attack was adjusted and we planned to take our helper to Guanzhou (through Lowu) to see whether we could exit China with a re-entry permit and the European passport. If not, the helper would have gone back to HK with the baby (we organized a direct taxi from border to airport and back to make it simple)

2. Once we reached Lowu, the helper could not get an instant visa (bummer and we should have known but forgot to check). However since we were at the China border, we asked the China immigration folks there and they thought it should not be an issue to make the trip with the documents on hand.

3. Helper returned from Lowu and had a nice week off at home in HK

4. We did the whole trip as planned with the baby
    - entering China at Lowu with a re-entry permit and the European passport
    - exit China at Guangzhou with re-entry permit and the European passport
    - enter and exit Cambodia with European passport
    - re-entered China at Guangzhou with re-entry permit and the European passport
    - exit China for HK with re-entry permit and the European passport

My conclusion: You do not need a HK passport to exit HK and enter China at any time if you bring some other passport with you.

Quote Originally Posted by burrcl:
    Would also be interesting to know what they would have done if the mother/father couldn't find their passport, rather than the baby's - send one parent with child, or cancel the holiday?
    If mother/father could not find their passport, we would have cancelled the holiday since the whole point of the trip was for the mom to make a final trip before giving birth to our second baby.

Last but not least for those who wondered: our baby is 17 months old

Thanks for the feedback and I hope you had a nice holiday.

It is good when people come back and say what happened. Kudos! I don't think we ever heard back from the vacationer who had an unpaid traffic ticket or something and he got a lot of advice. Maybe he's still in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:

Last but not least for those who wondered: our baby is 17 months old
    Same as ours. Maybe they should party together. My daughter can bring her HK passport to gloat mercilessly.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    My daughter can bring her HK passport to gloat mercilessly.
    we found the HK passport since! it was being hidden by the baby itself. ==> learning: never think your baby cannot access your locked drawers
    hello_there likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    @Hello_there:
    (1) r u married to Cookie09? U r certainly very forgiving and compassionate towards him, which is good. I expect by now he has found the tike's passport and all r on their way to fun in the sun.
    (2) Sure i lose and misplace many items but i never blame 'fate', or nature, or 'ce 'l vie'. It's always me. And i kick myself hard when the misplaced item is 'important' and i suddenly need it.
    (3) My passport is important to me and perhaps i wrongly assumed that everyone held their passport in equally high regard, but i can understand that some do not maybe because the issuing country is trash.
    (4) Regarding the corruption of this thread by the baby keepers, i have found many maids to be better nurturing adults than the mum or dad.
    (1) No, we've never met. But parents of toddlers often seem to have similar priorities (i.e. little things like losing something is no longer a big deal) and consider similar things important in life.

(2) I never, ever blamed 'fate' or 'nature' and in fact don't particularly even believe in the concept of fate. 'C'est 'la vie' means, basically that's life and has nothing to do with fate or nature - the concept is pretty much 'stuff happens, deal with it and move on'.

(3) As I've noted, passports, while important, are easily replaced in most cases. If it was more difficult for me to replace a passport perhaps my attitude towards it would be different. But, like I said, it takes about 2 days, a bit of time and a bit of money. Would consider the level of inconvenience about the same as taking a half day off work to get the dogs vaccinatied (not particularly fun, takes a bit of time, is inconvenient, but ultimately has little to no impact on my life). Also, don't know why you are bringing the issuing country into this. My home country, while not perfect, is certainly not "trash". Neither is HK (where the OPs missing passport was issued).

(4) What is a baby keeper?? "i have found many maids to be better nurturing adults than the mum or dad" - this statement is a gross overgeneralisation to say the least. I could also say that "i have found many maids who don't have a clue about childcare and are terrible at it" but that would, again, be a gross overgeneralisation of a large group of people and totally misleading and unfair. Additionally, in most Western countries a DH or maid isn't an option (much, much to expensive for all but the wealthiest families) and mom and dad do the parenting and nurturing. Perhaps your closed minded views are limited to experience in HK?

We're going for a holiday to cambodia with our little baby son. all passports, visas, etc for my wife and me are good. my son however is the problem:

- he holds a HK passport and has a HK ID
    - he has a PRC re-entry permit (given his age it's a red booklet)
    - he also has a re-entry card issued by the China gov (the pink card that looks almost like a HK ID)
    - last but not least, he holds a European passport (without any China visa)

We are (unfortunately) flying through Guangzhou to get to Cambodia. [...]
    - Exit China with his Re-entry permit and the pink re-entry card
    - Enter HK with his HK ID and re-entry permit

Issue is that we can't find his HK passport anymore...
    Ok quick update for everyone and also for the record since other people might have the same issue one day: [...]

4. We did the whole trip as planned with the baby
    - entering China at Lowu with a re-entry permit and the European passport
    - exit China at Guangzhou with re-entry permit and the European passport

- enter and exit Cambodia with European passport
    - re-entered China at Guangzhou with re-entry permit and the European passport
    - exit China for HK with re-entry permit and the European passport

My conclusion: You do not need a HK passport to exit HK and enter China at any time if you bring some other passport with you.
    Cookie - Good to hear things worked out.

Must have been CRAZY the night before... And should such a last-min manic scenario ever befall me and mine (been known to mislay things myself) I'll also take pause... check info, recall your experience / your "conclusion"... Thanks for the update.

we found the HK passport since! it was being hidden by the baby itself. ==> learning: never think your baby cannot access your locked drawers
    Yup, a reminder: never underestimate (though most parents WAY 'overestimate') the lil' mite

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7