Like Tree1Likes

Indian Expat - Need advise on work permit

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Indian Expat - Need advise on work permit

Friends ,

I am Indian 41 years old , with a wife and son 6 yrs old , planning to move to HK from India .

My company has already filed for a work permit and dependant visa(s) for the three of us .

The immigration department in Hong Kong has requested for a Marriage certificate for final processing . All other documents seem to be in place .

In India , it is not very common to formally register marriages , as some of you might be aware .
    Getting a marriage certificate is possible , but a Herculean task in the current situation and would take a lot of effort .
    The other aspect is , My wife and I both have the respective spouse's name endorsed on our passports , as also both our names are there on our Son's passport .

Just wanted some opinions from Expatriates who have taken up a working visa/permit in Hong Kong in recent times , do you think there are other possibilities /around this subject .?

Thank you very much for your feedback and advice

Cheers

Divesh

bookblogger... Did this thread make you angry? :P

Sorry OP - Going back to your point... I do think a marriage cert will be necessary. I don't think HK immigration will be able to make exceptions in this case because it would lead to a loophole which could easily be abused. HK immigration aren't usually very flexible with their rules which is good in some ways and annoying in others!

This is just my guess though. Good luck

Last edited by justjoe86; 06-02-2012 at 12:38 AM.

I am fuming!

justjoe86 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

ImmD requires proof of a legal marriage. Having someone's else name in a passport is not proof of marriage.

ImmD does not recognise common law marriages or same sex marriages, even with a duly legal marriage certificate. As you can see, things are rather "traditional" here and ImmD doesn't break the rules - or the law in this case.

It's tough but, as I see it, you have three choices: supply ImmD with a marriage certificate, leave the wife and kid behind, or cancel your move.

Why don't you leave them behind for now, and you move over, whilst they try and get the marriage certificate done. Once the certificate is ready they can come over on the depenedant visa.

Or get married in HK - only 4 people need to know (yourself, your spouse and 2 anonymous witnesses)

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Or get married in HK - only 4 people need to know (yourself, your spouse and 2 anonymous witnesses)
    That's a good suggestion I think.

Can get married in Registrar's office in India and get the marriage certificate in 48 hours by paying the extra charge. Or can apply for the marriage certificate of old date. May take 2 weeks and some tip money.

Unless yours is a intra-religious marriage, that takes longer.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I am fuming!
    ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast