British Citizen with job offer in HK seeking to bring girlfriend along

Closed Thread

British Citizen with job offer in HK seeking to bring girlfriend along

Hi,

I have been offered a 12 month contract with my company in its HK office. My employers will secure my work visa. My question was, what options does my girlfriend have for joining me.

she is a british citizen, lived there all her life, 23 years old, does not have a job secured in HK. She is prepared to take on roles different to the profession she undertakes in the UK.

I looked at working holiday visa but not sure what our options are.

Can anyone advise.

1. Working holiday visa - probably your best route.
    2. Marry her. You can do this discreetly without any family knowing about it, just for the purpose of the visa. Quite common. Easiest way to obtain the least restrictive visa.
    3. Study visa, e.g. for a Mandarin course or a master's program. Easy to obtain, but of course classes cost money, and you cannot legally work part time.
    4. Work visa in her own right - depends on her skills and degree. Maybe as an NET?
    5. Qualified migrant visa. Only feasible if you plan to stay longer - paperwork takes 1y and then some.

Didn't think there was such a thing as a working holiday visa on a British Passport.

Last edited by jimbo; 07-02-2012 at 04:33 AM.

I should have added. i looked at the working visa but realised she is ineligible being a UK passport holder.