Requirement for baby, born abroad, of HK Permanent Resident

Closed Thread

Requirement for baby, born abroad, of HK Permanent Resident

Hello

Can anyone tell me the immigration requirements for a baby of a permanent resident that was not born in HK. We travel frequently to HK and on several occasions check-in staff at foreign airports have said that a visa, or onward travel ticket, is required for the baby or entry may be refused. We are both british citizens. Upon arrival in HK, he always gets a 30 day stamp, and as far as I know he is entitled to that by being a british citizen, and since we never stay more than 30 days I didn't think there was an issue, and I didn't think that an onward ticket was necessary in the absence of a visa.

I assume that he doesn't have right of abode, so presumably the only other possible requirement is a visa/extension of stay in the event that we do stay for more than 30 days in the future.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks
    SD

Your kid should be able to get a dependant's visa stamp at the very minimum on his / her passport.

Also, assuming the kid travels on a British Passport - he should also be eligible for a 30 day visa.

On a British Citizen Passport surely he should be eligible for 180 days, not 30?

But I don't think a non-resident can get a Dependant's Visa? A Dependant Visa is for the purpose of residence, and this family appear to live outisde HK.

Thanks for the replies. We are resident in HK, albeit for 10-15 days each month on average. I have right of abode. My son always gets a 30 day stamp on arrival.

So from the comments given it seems that I can get him a dependent's visa, right ?

If you're resident - have a local address yes, you could get him a VISA. Best to email [email protected]

But something's still not right here - a British Citizen (if that's what the baby is) should get 180 days per arrival, not 30. Even the other forms of British passport would get 90 days, so I really can't see what's going on here.
    But the airline's point is correct:

from http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

"5. Visitors are required to have adequate funds to cover the duration of their stay without working and, unless in transit to the Mainland of China or the region of Macau, to hold onward or return tickets. "

Last edited by PDLM; 11-09-2007 at 05:31 PM.

Are you a permanent resident of HK? Were you born in HK?. If so, why can't you apply for your child to be a HK Citizen?.

see The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Quote Originally Posted by gildor:
    Are you a permanent resident of HK? Were you born in HK?. If so, why can't you apply for your child to be a HK Citizen?.

see The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    According to Chinese nationality law, that only applies if the parents have not established settlement outside of China. Since her Children were born in the UK, and both parents hold British Citizenship, the child has no claim to Chinese citizenship or ROA.

The only way to establish residency for her child in HK would be on a dependant visa. After seven years of continuous residence in Hong Kong, the child can apply for ROA.
    Last edited by Aritaurus; 19-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by gildor:
    Are you a permanent resident of HK? Were you born in HK?. If so, why can't you apply for your child to be a HK Citizen?
    Are you interested in immigration questions? Are you an immigration agent?

And, of course, why are you answering such an old thread?