Like Tree131Likes

What type of visa can a British nanny apply?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I had a bit of a skim through the immigration website too and could not find any prohibitions on UK citizens. But could you see a British Au Pair agreeing to the standard terms of an FDH contract (chortles).
    Why not? I have family members who have hired Au pairs - from Russia and from France, not from Britain though - and the terms (free food/lodging, allowance, air tickets etc) are comparable. Of course it is a different thing whether you're a domestic helper doing house chores 60h/week or a part-time baby sitter working 20-30h/week, but nothing stops the OP from offering such terms.

FWIW, I can understand the OP quite well. An Au pair is not a nanny but a baby sitter, and - from my observations - the influence on the kids is quite good. They don't replace the mother (re Jimbo's preposterous comment) but rather have an older-sister kind of role, and I think it is a very sensible way if you want to have kids and don't want to tie yourself/your wife to a full time nanny role.

@Blueberries, did the officer give any reason for not choosing the domestic helper route? They probably consider it a ridiculous choice, but I don't think there would be any reasons for rejecting your application.

I don't know if this is a route that you would want to go, but you could offer the girl to support her taking Chinese classes, getting a study visa, and then give her free lodging in return for occasionally looking after the kids. It of course would make you a criminal felon as people here will quickly point out, but it is a route others have taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    That's your opinion.

My opinion was that it was uncalled for.

Stop trying to bait me into useless argument Shenwen :-)
    yes, you throw your opinion around and when I disagree I am baiting you

and stop being so sensitive. tasteless? I know english is not your mother tongue but are you sure you meant this?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Yawn, someone yet again can't just let things go and tries to start another silly argument.
    I know. Mat annoys me to. why did he feel the need to respond to jimbo? I don't get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberries:
    I was told by the immigration officer that the British au pair should apply the visa for professional emloyment. Since she is just a high school graduate without professional training. The chance for her to get the working visa is very slim. Right?
    Now I have another question, can the British apply the working visa after the entry as a tourist?
    You are correct that without a university degree or training chances of being granted an employment visa are slim. If you go to the immigration web site the criteria are outlined in detail. Sorry I'm on a mobile device and can't seem to copy the link. It may also be worth contacting some of the HK based nanny agencies to see if they will offer any pointers on getting a visa approved. They may also be able to help with the application itself, for a fee. In any case, on the application you would want to play up any experience she has had with childminding and even any short courses like CPR and first aid (if she has not taken anything like this would suggest finding a short course and enrolling - it can usually be completed in a week with a certificate issued) for children on the visa application, as well as emphasizing that native-level fluency in English is essential for the post (which will help you to show there is no locally available candidate who is qualified). Believe you also have to advertise for the post locally or something.

As for entering HK on a tourist visa and then applying for a change of status/ work visa, yes it can be done. But I understand there are risks, and the application may be scrutinized more closely, particularly if the application is already borderline. Working while on a tourist visa, while chances if getting caught are notably slim, isn't a good idea as penalties can be severe - fines for the employer and jail time/ fines/ deportation for the employee.

Regarding the DH route, I know several people who tried this with European women (who were going to look after their kids) and the DH visa applications were rejected. Don't have more info on why they were not approved. If anyone has done this successfully I would appreciate any details they could provide as I have friends who are interested.
    dear giant, shri and MovingIn07 like this.

Slightly off topic: Why do people in Hong Kong refer to maids as "helpers". It seems like this is an attempt to dress up / politically anesthetize / assuage employer guilt about the fact the "helpers" are really servants (they live with you / are at your beck and call / have second class residency and status). Even using the term "maid" is a bit generous to describe their actual condition.

dear giant and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cbalex:
    Slightly off topic: Why do people in Hong Kong refer to maids as "helpers". It seems like this is an attempt to dress up / politically anesthetize / assuage employer guilt about the fact the "helpers" are really servants (they live with you / are at your beck and call / have second class residency and status). Even using the term "maid" is a bit generous to describe their actual condition.
    yawnnn here we go again.
    Satay Sue likes this.

(Also trying to stifle a yawn) not just a HK thing, same term used in Singapore and Japan.

That is true but the term still exists. Several women in my pregnancy group had them.

Yes they did. Their husbands held very high positions in their companies.
    Go to Arisugawa Park in Hiroo on a weekday, dozen Filipinas looking after Western small children. From time to time Immigration employed plain-clothes staff who would stop them in the street and check their details to make sure they weren't working part-time. Agree, nowhere near as many as here as it is almost impossible to meet the criteria to employ. It used to be a lot easier which is possibly why several women had them (would be 7 years ago) but they changed the policy a few years ago.

Last edited by Satay Sue; 15-02-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast