need help for Hong Kong Tourist Visa extension

Closed Thread

need help for Hong Kong Tourist Visa extension

Hi all, I am from Myanmar(Burma) and I plan to visit to Hong Kong next month. When I asked the Chinese embassy they told me I can get 2 weeks for Tourist visa. But If possible I want to stay more longer around 2 months. When I search information from internet I could see that I can extend my Hong Kong tourist visa.
    But I want to know that how many times can I extend my Tourist visa while I am staying in Hong Kong and or how long can I stay a cumulative period of days?
    I could see some post but I hope someone could help me to get this information.
    Thank you so much in advance.

Extension of Stay is possible while you are in HK but the final decision rests on the Immigration Dept.

You can start from here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_es_vnpr.htm#b

You can either go to China for the day and reenter to get another 2 weeks (not guaranteed though) or go to the immigration dept. They will ask for a reason for the extension and just that you want to stay longer is not normally enough. Do you have a sponsor?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You can either go to China for the day and reenter to get another 2 weeks (not guaranteed though) or go to the immigration dept. They will ask for a reason for the extension and just that you want to stay longer is not normally enough. Do you have a sponsor?
    Quote Originally Posted by kostas:
    Extension of Stay is possible while you are in HK but the final decision rests on the Immigration Dept.

You can start from here: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/faq_es_vnpr.htm#b
    thank you for the replies. and I understand I should give good reasons why I want to stay longer in Hong Kong. Can my bf( Hong Kong and US dual citizen) be my sponsor? Can my sponsor help me to get more longer stay in Hong Kong.
    I got some information from other thread. that is "there's a maxim number of times that I can go out and come back (3 times)."
    Can I extend my stay without go out from Hong Kong?
    Of course I want to apply job at IT field during my stay in Hong Kong. so I wish I could extend my stay 1 month or more to apply job and then I can apply my work visa.
    thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaomei:
    thank you for the replies. and I understand I should give good reasons why I want to stay longer in Hong Kong. Can my bf( Hong Kong and US dual citizen) be my sponsor? Can my sponsor help me to get more longer stay in Hong Kong.
    I got some information from other thread. that is "there's a maxim number of times that I can go out and come back (3 times)."
    Can I extend my stay without go out from Hong Kong?
    Of course I want to apply job at IT field during my stay in Hong Kong. so I wish I could extend my stay 1 month or more to apply job and then I can apply my work visa.
    thank you so much.
    Your boyfriend cannot sponsor you for a visa (unless you get married). For a dependent visa, your sponsor must be a spouse. For a work visa, your sponsor must be your employer. Depending on your experience level and education, it may be difficult for an employer to sponsor you - an employer must basically be able to show HK immigration that no local person can do the job you are applying for. If you have a specific skill set in IT you should market that. If you have a visa pending (either work or dependent), immigration is more likely to extend your stay as a tourist until the visa is either granted or denied.

Unless you have a visa application pending, you probably cannot extend your stay in HK without leaving and comming back in. Immigration has the discretion to provide an extension, but they will only do so if they believe you have a good reason for staying longer in HK. Searching for work probably will not qualify. Also, the "maximum of three times" you mentioned does not mean that you will definitely be allowed to re-enter on three consecutive trips into HK as a tourist.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Your boyfriend cannot sponsor you for a visa (unless you get married). For a dependent visa, your sponsor must be a spouse. For a work visa, your sponsor must be your employer. Depending on your experience level and education, it may be difficult for an employer to sponsor you - an employer must basically be able to show HK immigration that no local person can do the job you are applying for. If you have a specific skill set in IT you should market that. If you have a visa pending (either work or dependent), immigration is more likely to extend your stay as a tourist until the visa is either granted or denied.

Unless you have a visa application pending, you probably cannot extend your stay in HK without leaving and comming back in. Immigration has the discretion to provide an extension, but they will only do so if they believe you have a good reason for staying longer in HK. Searching for work probably will not qualify. Also, the "maximum of three times" you mentioned does not mean that you will definitely be allowed to re-enter on three consecutive trips into HK as a tourist.

Good luck.
    Well yes and no. Although for a tourist visa you do not need an official sponsor, your boyfriend can write a letter supporting your extension, or even better attend with you at Immigration Tower. In that way they act as your sponsor. They do give extensions without leaving though usually only once per visit. I have never known them actually refuse an extension but sometimes it is only for a limited period.