Like Tree77Likes

No passport and visa: can I live in Hong Kong International Airport for some time?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Seriously. GO AND TALK TO IMMIGRATION. Your idea is lunacy.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Huike:
    Since I cannot afford HK$9000 for the return flight home
    Take a bus or train?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang Huike:
    My home country is a pretty large country in Eastern Europe and Asia.

As for the Immigration Department, they told me that I couldn't re-enter Hong Kong on Feb 28 and stay until March 6 as a visitor. They require at least 1 month passport validity to enter.

Basically that's all information I need from them right now. If I ask them "can I live on an expired passport here", you know what the answer will be.
    Kazakhstan then.

totally idiotic.

you go to immigration, explain the situation and ask for an EXTENSION OF STAY. it's not difficult, nor is it rocket science.

you're current idea of sleeping in the airport for 2 weeks is beyond belief.

You're not Tom Hanks, and this is not The Terminal. Speak to HK Immigration, I'm sure they'll be able to allow some sort of documentation that will allow you stay in HK legally.

And you need to do that sooner rather than later, you only have a week left!

Isn't this the plot of a Tom Hanks movie? Somehow I don't think this will have the same Hollywood ending now post 9/11.

carang and everyone, as far as I know, extension of stay requires a valid passport. Mine is about to expire on March 6. If I'm lucky, I'll get an extension until that date. But probably not - this is why my dependant visa duration is much shorter than my sponsor's.

After March 6, I'll still have to do Plan B. I'm not Tom Hanks but it seems quite feasible for me. I don't see a big difference between sitting there working on my laptop in the airport and elsewhere.

Last edited by Zhang Huike; 20-02-2012 at 05:54 PM.

then get a bloody extension until march 6.... explain to them that you are waiting for your new passport.

immigration are not ogres. (at least not in my dealings with them).

they will be a lot less unhappy with you if you go down to their office and talk to them than if they catch you trying to live at the airport!

i mean... seriously idiotic.

Satay Sue and Christ5733 like this.

And you seriously think you can "live" there unnoticed for 2 weeks? Take everyone's advice, go to immigration and talk to them, your idea is insane.

OK guys, tomorrow afternoon I'll check with the consulate again to see if it's ready and then will go to the ImmD. I guess 2nd floor, Information and Liaison section?

I'll post an update then.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast