Like Tree11Likes

Indian Spouse needs Dependent Visa as Husband working in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

i am not taking it out on you, just at the editors.
    you have no first hand experience.
    your second hand experience is remotely related. mho, not at all.

what would you edit if you are the editor? Facts w/ references?

no of course not... what a silly thing to say.

again, the best people to contact are the immigration dept directly. NEVER believe what you read on a forum, once, somewhere.... get the real facts from the department responsible.

dumbdonkey likes this.

I would also like to reassure the OP that dealing with HK Immigration is NOTHING like dealing with a government department in India: you can expect to be treated as a human being, not as an interruption to somebody's tea-time, all the application forms are available and issued free of charge, queueing is observed no matter what your income or race, and what the officers say will be done will be done promptly without any extra money (in fact, if you try to bribe a government official here, you will be arrested).

Thanks friends for giving me a ray of hope...I just wanted to ensure that I'm there with my husband from day one & not have to come back to India unnecessarily (just b'coz I don’t have my long stay visa). Now I've asked my would be husband to enquire directly at the immigration dept

From my experience they do not extend the visa just because a dependent visa application is under process.. They did however do it for us once for 14 days with a clear notice that it is not usually done and is a special consideration and just for once.

However I believe it can be done for one time if you try, and then you can make a trip or two to Macau for another 14days each. If you do it too many times the immigration officers might ask questions..

Just remember visiting China may not be an option unless you get your China visa from India.

Last edited by PSMaverick; 26-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    first suggestion: when you make your application, do not abbreviate words... it's annoying and hard to read.

if you submit your dependent visa application while you are here, then they will also grant you an extension of stay at the same time....
    Agree with Carang on both points.

When I came here, i came on tourist's visa, applied for dependent's visa, immd gave extention automatically. (this was almost 8 years ago, if things have changed since then, then I am not aware)
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    because we used to have posters who knew what they were talking about and backing it up with references and links to gov websites.
    Yeah but the powers-that-be pissed them off and the rest of us are too lazy to bother. Carang's info smells right to me from what I have heard too.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i am not taking it out on you, just at the editors.
    you have no first hand experience.
    your second hand experience is remotely related. mho, not at all.

what would you edit if you are the editor? Facts w/ references?

and something stops you from searching those posts and sending the links on here? instead of lashing at Carang?

If you have problem w the editors, I suggest you talk/e-mail them - I have no idea if they will reply but that might be more productive.

hi mkdk,
    2 days back got my visa(dependent via marriage) approved after 7 wks of all the necessary docs were submitted. Initially, before the expiry of my 14 days visitor visa i hd approached the immd for the extension(reason being application of dependent visa) but the officer reminded me that it was against the rules and that in such cases the applicant has to wait for his/her visa in their respective countries and the most he could do in my case was grant 1 week @ $160/-....i declined since it made more sense to take trips to macau(twice) and china(visa from india) coz we wanted to celebrate the year end festivities together.

As a British passport holder I had two choices given to me the other day. Choice number one remain in HK until the visa was processed (due to 180 day stay) then I had to exit as a tourist and re-enter on the visa or number two wait in the UK.

Just looked over the immigration website and can not see where it states you have to leave so I would speak to immigration to clarify whether the extension of stay can be applied in this situation. It does mention the extensions needs to be applied for no less than 7 days prior to your visitors visa expiring so get over to immigration tower soon after arriving. Check this link for more info The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department and speak to immigration who are most helpful.