Holder of HKSAR passport, but not Perm ID - possible?? eligible to work in HK?

Closed Thread

Holder of HKSAR passport, but not Perm ID - possible?? eligible to work in HK?

A quick sanity check, since it's the first time I encounter this. I am hiring an employee for my business, and I received an interesting application from someone who is originally from PRC but now studies in Hong Kong.

I asked him if he is eligible to work in Hong Kong, as I had my doubts... He replied (literally): "I hold the passport of Hong Kong SAR, but it is not permanent ID". I am confused as I thought before getting SAR passport you need to be a Permanent resident?

(of course I know passport is NOT an ID but I take it he meant "I hold the Passport of HKSAR but not Permanent ID")

Please enlighten me about such status as described above - and whether he is eligible to work in Hong Kong???

thanks
    Khema

Last edited by Khema; 29-02-2012 at 07:59 AM.

I'd say their machine translation didn't work too well for them.

Chinese from PRC who enters Hong Kong in One Way Permit can get Hong Kong SAR passport though they do not hold HKPID. You need to check their One Way Permit where Immigration Department has stamped Visa for 7 year.

Thanks Prem! I had no idea. emx - LOL!

I am surprised to learn this.

I knew that mainland Chinese who entered HK on a one-way permit could not renew their old mainland PRC issued passports (if they ever had one) and would be eligible for a travel document from HK called a Certificate of Identity until they obtained ROA (which would take 7 years).

I thought that this was a different travel document from a normal HKSAR passport though. If it's a normal HKSAR passport then that would give its holder the full visa-free access and ease of travel that HKSAR passport + ROA holders have, but without the ROA. That's not a bad thing, but it is surprising.