Like Tree6Likes

Chinese nationality - is it possible for a non-Chinese person?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Well its a personal decision. I'm sure he did it not for being patriotic (even though he claimed) but for money and political reasons. Nothing wrong with that mind you. He wasn't breaking any law (in the legal or moral sense), so I don't see any issue. Also, he's been living here for donkeys of years, so one could argue it would make sense for him to become Chinese.

Maybe he should become the next CE? While I'm not a great fan of him, I think he's much better than the buffons who are presently trying to get chosen (mind you that is not that hard).
    Considering Zeman supports one of the prime buffons presently trying to be chosen, I don't think this adds much to his credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Considering Zeman supports one of the prime buffons presently trying to be chosen, I don't think this adds much to his credibility.
    Those of us from the west have supported buffoons and voted for politicians who turned out idiots or even scoundrels so not sure the connection here.

Zeman came here around 19 or 20 (was born in Germany) and most of his life has been in Hong Kong. I spoke to him just after he became Chinese and he said that it made sense as he unlike some of his family have kept no links to Canada so leaving his Canadian citizenship was not a hard choice for him. Some expats gone from their own countries for years no longer feel the same attachment to their homeland and that doesn't make them any less honorable.

To question his motives as some have is really unfair.
    Last edited by Football16; 04-03-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Those of us from the west have supported buffoons and voted for politicians who turned out idiots or even scoundrels so not sure the connection here.

Zeman came here around 19 or 20 (was born in Germany) and most of his life has been in Hong Kong. I spoke to him just after he became Chinese and he said that it made sense as he unlike some of his family have kept no links to Canada so leaving his Canadian citizenship was not a hard choice for him. Some expats gone from their own countries for years no longer feel the same attachment to their homeland and that doesn't make them any less honorable.

To question his motives as some have is really unfair.
    You can be forgiven for supporting someone if your choice turns out to be a buffoon or a scoundrel after an election, but we already know Henry is both a buffoon and a scoundrel. Yet Zeman still supports him.
    Last edited by drumbrake; 04-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.

I don't really see the issue w zeman frankly, the 2 candidates are terrible (cy Leung is no better than HT) so if u use this to judge him we ain't going very far.

But anyway I have no+ or - opinion about him, for me, he is just a businessman...

I can see where someone wants to be a passport holder. Foreign HK PR holders can lose their PR status if absent for 3 years. People might just feel happier being a citizen instead of just PR, even though PR is still nearly just as good as being a citizen.

chick21 likes this.