Like Tree6Likes

Chinese nationality - is it possible for a non-Chinese person?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chinese nationality - is it possible for a non-Chinese person?

Hi,

I've been researching for information on whether I can get a HK passport after becoming a permanent resident, but still could not find any certain information about one simple thing:

Is it at all possible for a foreigner without any Chinese relatives to acquire Chinese nationality? (in order to get a HK passport)

According to the nationality law, I will just need to be "settled in China", but in practice, how realistic is that a white foreigner's application for Chinese nationality is approved? (provided that he is a HK permanent resident).

Did anyone ever hear of any persons of non-Chinese origin getting a HK passport?

There are many non Chinese HK permanent residents , who have acquired Chinese Nationality and HKSAR passport. I personally know few of them

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

is there a difference between a HKSAR passport and Chinese nationality?

going back to a different post, it is possible to have HK passport and UK passport, but not Chinese passport and UK passport.

I think the way it works as follows:

1. You have PR and are Chinese (under Chinese Nationality law) you can get HK Passport and maintain your other passport.

2. You have PR but are not Chinese then you have to renounce your existing nationality to get HK Passport (you can then reapply for nationality one, if it allows dual citizenship, but don't tell HK government).

2. You have PR but are not Chinese then you have to renounce your existing nationality to get HK Passport (you can then reapply for nationality one, if it allows dual citizenship, but don't tell HK government).
    Lets say if I have a sleeping citizenship which I have not renounced but have not been using or have applied a passport of that country for ages. It is just that it will be a pain for me to apply for renunciation (as it probably involves a bit of under table money to get a letter) Not that I will ever want to live there, but I do I have a tiny bit of inheritance in that country which resurrection of the passport at some stage can be useful.

Would ImmD request the evidence of the renunciation of such citizenship? (Immd knows about my other citizenship since I have shown the expired passport). Or the renunciation of my current citizenship be enough for naturalisation as a Chinese citizen (HK)? Has anyone been through similar situation before?
    Last edited by star-anise; 01-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I think the way it works as follows:

1. You have PR and are Chinese (under Chinese Nationality law) you can get HK Passport and maintain your other passport.

makes sense, but for number 2, will you actually be Chinese if you don't have a Chinese passport (only a HK passport)?

the reason I ask is because it is very difficult for non-ethnic Chinese to get permanent visas (green cards) for China and I was wondering if the HK passport is a loophole of sorts.

OP, one such example is rather famous: Allan Zeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    OP, one such example is rather famous: Allan Zeman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yeah, if you have a billion dollars and lots of friends, then it should be easy. Zeman is a passport shopper anyway...first become Canadian, renounced that then became Chinese....lucky for him that the Commonwealth countries usually have Universal citizenship, whereby you can always get back your nationality, because its never really renounced.
    dear giant likes this.

Star - I presume the answer is if HK immigration don't know about it then I think you should be OK (I think, as I've never come across this before).

Shenwen - Having an HK passport doesn't guarantee you right of entry into China. I guess holding an HK passport means you are technically a Chinese Citizen, but also I guess its up to the PRC to decide whether you can be employed in the PRC or not. (Please note, at best I'm just making educated guesses to all of this).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast