Obtaining a Working Visa or Working Holiday Visa

Closed Thread

Obtaining a Working Visa or Working Holiday Visa

Hello,

I am currently trying to move to HK from Canada. I have both a Canadian and Uk Passport. I was originally going to apply for my Working Holiday Visa but do not like the idea of moving back after 12 months and heard it was hard to extend your stay in any way. I am a fashion designer that specializes in Handbags and jewelry. I have been working for myself so I do not have experience designing for any other companies. I also do not speak chinese... yet. I think it will be hard for me to get a company to sponsor me so is the best to just get a Working Holiday Visa and then figure something else out after a year. I am also wondering what the regulations are for me to carry on with my own business making and selling handbags.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Lucy.

Hi,

Not sure whether setting up a business straight away would be a sound business plan. In any eventuality here is the link for the capital investment scheme.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

It outlines setting up a business in HK but as you would expect the criteria can be demanding especially if a small start up. The investment amount is HK$10m and still requires you to have addresses in both countries (Hong Kong and country of residence).

In terms of fashion I am not sure how easy it will be to break into if you do not speak Chinese. I have a few friends that work in various areas of fashion including designing but all speak and write Chinese. This may be an issue if you start a business also but worth investigating.

Personally, I would apply for the WHV on your Canadian passport to spend time out here and see if you can find temporary work with any companies. This will get you experience and if you make an impression you may secure a sponsorship.

Read through the Working Holiday (The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department) guidelines but it does state you can not stay for longer than 12 months but this will give you an idea if you are able to make it.

To contradict the poster above, I know a few people who work in fashion who don't speak Chinese. :-) A couple of them are designers, and others merchandisers (I think you'd call it - they oversee the stores and concessions). But they all work for international brands and have experience.

Glad someone took the fashion area as I have limited to no experience in this (you should see my dress sense). I just happen to know two locals who design. Agree that the large international brands will take only English speaking designers.

THank you for your input!

Hello! so what have you opted for? I'm interested in the working holiday visa but don't know what to expect. can't speak 'Chinese' but have experience in business development and wholesale (fashion).

Would be great to hear from you

I am kenya living in dubai and would like to come over,advice requirement for holiday visa

Quote Originally Posted by Wodu:
    I am kenya living in dubai and would like to come over,advice requirement for holiday visa
    You need to hold a passport from one of these countries:

Australia (annual quota = 5000)
    Canada (annual quota = 200)
    France (annual quota = 200)
    Germany (annual quota = 150)
    Ireland (annual quota = 100)
    Japan (annual quota = 250)
    Korea (Republic of) (annual quota = 500)
    New Zealand (annual quota = 400)
    United Kingdom (annual quota = 1000)

Quote Originally Posted by Wodu:
    Do you mean holiday or working holiday visa?