Change of Employment and sponsorship transfer under HK GEP

Closed Thread

Change of Employment and sponsorship transfer under HK GEP

Hi all,

I have few queries regarding "Change of Employment and sponsorship transfer under HK GEP" for which I have been googling for last few days but couldn't find appropriate answers. I am planning to visit Immigration this Saturday anyway, but still would want to ask you people if someone already have experience regarding this and would like to answer, would be appreciated a lot.

• Who should take the initiative for this application? Me or my new employer?
    • When should this application be made to Immigration? After my last day with current employer? or 1month before the last day at work?
    • My new employer has told me that they can and will apply for this on the day I report and hence start working for them. They said they technically can't apply before I sign and join the company and I can start working for them from that day as the application will be under process. Is that correct?
    • My "Employment Visa" is currently extended till Feb'2014, is it true that I can stay in Hong Kong till that date even if my current employer terminates the sponsorship and I can't find new sponsor?
    • Do I/my new employer need to produce my "resignation letter" to Immi. Dept. while applying?

For information, my notice period with current employer is 3 months and new employer has agreed to wait for me.

HR of my new employer dealt with the visa transfer. After you resign they can get the ball rolling and submit the forms. They needed a copy of a letter from my old work saying I had resigned and then lodged the transfer. Took around 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sdeinhk:
    • Who should take the initiative for this application? Me or my new employer?
    Your employer, they are you sponsor. But......

• When should this application be made to Immigration? After my last day with current employer? or 1month before the last day at work?
    Depends when you want to start working for the new employer. As soon as possible really but at least a few weeks ahead of when you wish to start your new job.

• My new employer has told me that they can and will apply for this on the day I report and hence start working for them. They said they technically can't apply before I sign and join the company and I can start working for them from that day as the application will be under process. Is that correct?
    This is complete and utter tosh in every respect. Don't work for these fools, they either have no idea about what they are doing or, alternatively, know exactly what they are doing, which is even worse.

• My "Employment Visa" is currently extended till Feb'2014, is it true that I can stay in Hong Kong till that date even if my current employer terminates the sponsorship and I can't find new sponsor?
    Yes, but you can't work without having a change of employer application approved by Immigration Department.

• Do I/my new employer need to produce my "resignation letter" to Immi. Dept. while applying?
    Not your resignation letter, no, but many other things. Your new employer should be handling all this. Run.

For information, my notice period with current employer is 3 months and new employer has agreed to wait for me.
    Out of the frying pan into the fire.
    Last edited by dipper; 07-03-2012 at 12:02 AM.