Like Tree17Likes

tourist from middle east

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    Funny that luck has been favorable to so many of us working in the aviation industry here and to our dependents.
    You must believe that murders don't occur in your world because its never happened to anyone around you..... Just because it has not happened to those around you, it doesn't mean it is not the case.

You beef isn't with anyone here (or their attitude however you perceive it), its the HK ImmD policies.

I did find the comment unfriendly because the OP is simply asking for advice. Mind you, there are even posters here asking for where to buy stuff which, on my opinion, is Troll-ish.
    Can you tell me where else can people find out how to buy certain items, in a country they are new to, where the indigenous language that the vast majority of the local populace is one they are foreign to? Troll-ish? Please.

So with that logic, the OP asking a question about HK ImmD here isn't troll-ish, eventhough the the HK ImmD website is fully functional and will provide all the answers the OP needs? Or is it because he/she is a fellow countryman of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    You must believe that murders don't occur in your world because its never happened to anyone around you..... Just because it has not happened to those around you, it doesn't mean it is not the case.

You beef isn't with anyone here (or their attitude however you perceive it), its the HK ImmD policies.

I'm not arguing about the HK ImmD policies. Yes, it clearly states 14 days for tourists, that's why I told OP to return to her own country and come back after several days. The advice is based on my personal experience and of my friends that had been working here for more than 10 years. If it is in contrary with what you know, then it's not my problem.

Can you tell me where else can people find out how to buy certain items, in a country they are new to, where the indigenous language that the vast majority of the local populace is one they are foreign to? Troll-ish? Please.

I don't know. For starters, maybe try the internet. Something like google search, as you have early on suggested with the HK Immd website. It's relatively easier to find something that is for sale in the internet, don't you think?

So with that logic, the OP asking a question about HK ImmD here isn't troll-ish, eventhough the the HK ImmD website is fully functional and will provide all the answers the OP needs? Or is it because he/she is a fellow countryman of yours?
    That's exactly my point. She should be assumed as having no idea of the policies here because she clearly hasn't been here before. Otherwise, she wouldn't have bought a ticket for a 30-day vacation. Similar with all others posting their questions here, as in where to buy stuff. All these information can be searched through the internet but they chose to ask in this forum. If we can provide the information, then we reply to them. No need to raise an eyebrow, regardless of the posters nationality.

I find it hilarious that anyone would take zhang's posts seriously after his "can I life in the airport" epic. The guy clearly has a screw loose.

Football16 and cookie09 like this.

The obvious place to spend the second two weeks of your vacation is in Macau; it's cheaper to live than HK, and you can catch a ferry directly from there to HKIA, so do not have to explain yourself to the Immigration Department on your return. Macau grants Philippine passport holders 30 days visa-free entry.

vmlinuz likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpatNeighbor:
    That's exactly my point. She should be assumed as having no idea of the policies here because she clearly hasn't been here before. Otherwise, she wouldn't have bought a ticket for a 30-day vacation.
    No, it should be safe to assume that a traveller would check the visa requirements of a country BEFORE booking and paying for a flight, NOT just expect a country's border control to ignore the law because someone CHOSE to buy a ticket for a longer period than the period they are permitted to stay there.

I made the "default" here as "entitled/willful". You made it "stupid".
    bryant.english likes this.

Popping over the border and coming back the same day is a blatant attempt to get a visa extension which the Immg clearly knows about, its not just the Pinoys that get the 3rd degrees, most south Asians also get it.

To the OP, stay in HK for 14 days, go to Macau for a few days then from Macau go to China (Zhongshan-Shenzhen) for a few days and then come back to HK from Shenzhen, any problems with the IMMG, show them your return ticket and tell them your here for a vacation and you will be going back to the middle east.

If your HOT then i will be willing to come to SZ to accompany you through the border and to tell the IMMG PIGS to go forth and multiply many many times. I have done this before. Wahey

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    No, it should be safe to assume that a traveller would check the visa requirements of a country BEFORE booking and paying for a flight, NOT just expect a country's border control to ignore the law because someone CHOSE to buy a ticket for a longer period than the period they are permitted to stay there.
    Who said anything about ignoring the law? Are you dumb or are you just dumb? What is illegal about returning to one's own country after her Visa expires and then returning to that same country after a few days? Do I need to repost it for you? Geez!

Maybe you should re-read the first post before getting all hot and bothered. She is already here, waited 10 days before starting to do anything about the FACT that she only gets 14 days on arrival here. Be honest, it is shockingly naive to have not checked something like visas when booking her flights, particularly since people of your nationality do tend to have stricter rules to adhere to in many countries.
    No, it's not illegal to do what you said but again, in the circumstances, it is ill-advised. If you have managed to exit and enter freely on a number of occasions then lucky you - you are definitely in the minority though.
    ALSO - since you are "working in aviation" you obviously have a working visa then which is a totally different case. Otherwise implies that you are, in fact, living here illegally.

Last edited by Satay Sue; 23-03-2012 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Maybe you should re-read the first post before getting all hot and bothered. She is already here, waited 10 days before starting to do anything about the FACT that she only gets 14 days on arrival here. Be honest, it is shockingly naive to have not checked something like visas when booking her flights, particularly since people of your nationality do tend to have stricter rules to adhere to in many countries.
    True, she waited 10 days before asking, but it's also a fact that she still has 4 days remaining to rebook her return flight if there is no other option but to do so. That's why she's asking if anyone could offer an alternative solution to the problem on hand since she wouldn't want to shorten her vacation.

And yes, I currently hold a working Visa but prior to being employed here, I used to work in the same industry for seven years. As you may know, one of the perks is being able to travel almost for free, thus the repeated visits to Hong Kong.

my guess though is that hk is not the only place to which you are travelling? that being the case, it would be fairly obvious to immigration that you are not looking for a job. whereas the OP is ONLY travelling to hk. she has planned on staying for a long time. it is not so plainly obvious to immigration that the OP is not here looking for work, or worse yet, already working illegally.