Queries on dependents visa

Closed Thread

Queries on dependents visa

Just a few questions about a dependent's visa. My husband holds a permanent HK ID but has been living in the UK for many years and holds a British passport but has an expired BNO as well. I am Malaysian but have lived in the UK for many years too with PR status. We have a child who is 3 who was born in the UK and holds a British passport.

We are thinking of moving to HK permanently. Obviously our current employments are in the UK and we do not have any assets in HK. Will these issues pose a problem in the application?

Also, after living in HK for 7 years will my child and I be able to get permanent residence status? Do I have to have permanent residence to be able to apply for other dependents (for eg elderly parents) later on?

My other query is will my child and I have to apply for a visa to go to mainland china each time we go there once we live in HK?

I understand that dependents visa holders are able to work and change jobs without informing immigration? Is that right? Basically, moving over will be like emigrating to another country permanently so unless the base can be permanent and restrictions minimal it will be difficult for us to settle in so some background info would be very helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Iramanis:
    Will these issues pose a problem in the application?
    Not if you can show ImmD that you have a reasonable amount of assets to support yourself in Hong Kong while looking for work.
    Also, after living in HK for 7 years will my child and I be able to get permanent residence status?
    Yes
    Do I have to have permanent residence to be able to apply for other dependents (for eg elderly parents) later on?
    As I read the rules then yes for your parents.
    My other query is will my child and I have to apply for a visa to go to mainland china each time we go there once we live in HK?
    The spouse of a PR can apply for a 6 month multi-entry visa to China. Dependants are probably similar, but I'm not sure.
    I understand that dependants visa holders are able to work and change jobs without informing immigration? Is that right?
    Correct for dependants on PRs and Employment Visa holders (dependants on Study Visa holders cannot work).

Thanks PDLM for your invaluable advice.

I have been told that it's very troublesome for a foreigner to obtain a credit card and that banks normally require the applicant to leave a substantial amount of money in the bank with very little or no interest before a card can be issued.

I would want to have a current account and a card almost immediately for convenience purposes and I have excellent credit ratings over here but obviously this wouldn't count in HK. What's the best thing to do? If I open an HSBC account in the UK will my information and therefore credit rating be transferrable to HK when we move there?

Is it true that HK banks give very little interest on savings account?

There are any number of ways to invest money in Hong Kong - yes, pure savings accounts in HKD don't pay a lot, but you can invest in pretty much anything you want - shares, funds, warrants, currency time deposits, whatever...

If you have sufficient investable assets in the UK (which I think means GBP60,000) then your best bet is to get it into an HSBC Premier relationship there in the UK. Once you are HSBC Premier in one country you keep that status with HSBC worldwide, so you would automatically get the status here and have no problem getting a credit card and so on.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-10-2007 at 12:27 AM.