Like Tree1Likes

Apply for HKSAR Passport

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thankyou all for your replies -

getting a HKSAR passport to solve the China visa hassle seems like maybe not such a cunning plan after all

You could apply for the APEC card, but I doubt that the approval from China will come through before October. I applied in early May, got the approval from a number of counties (amazingly Vietnam approved my application almost instantly) - but not yet China.

Yes seems from the web site that may help-thanks for the tip

I'm a UK citizen and also have the right of abode in HK as I was born here. I know people (ethnically Chinese) who have both British passports and HKSAR passports. Would I really have to renounce my UK citizenship to get an HKSAR passport?

If you are not a Chinese citizen by birth then yes I believe so. To get a HK Passport you need to be a Chinese citizen. If you are not a Chinese citizen by birth then you need to naturalise as one. To do so requires you explicitly and with proof to renounce all other citizenships.

Jay,

You should renounce the British Citizenship.
    The processes involve to get HKSAR passport(non-chinese)
    1) Apply for Chinese Naturalization(provided eligible)
    2) Receive the approval letter from HK IMMD of process 1
    3) Renounce the existing nationality
    4) Submit the proof for Processes 2 & 3 to HK IMMD
    5) After verfication, HK IMMD will issue a Chinese Naturalization certificate and to apply for the Change of Status in HK ID
    6) Apply HK-ID with Chinese Name included
    7) Apply HKSAR Passport

If you dont want to appear Chinese name in HKSAR passport then reverse 6&7.

You should need a Home Return Card(HRC) to go to China once you got HKSAR passport.
    8) Goto CTS and apply for HRC.
    9) They will call for collection.

In my case, It almost more than 3 months still I dont know the status of my HRC application status. And the relevant CTS phone line is always un-answered. Due to Olympic, China has tighten the process of HRC for naturalized chinese.
    If you are frequent traveller to China then you should renounce after Olymipc, hope that China will liberal it tight contols on Visa for Foreigners.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by mmsG; 11-07-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    Khema likes this.

This is a really old thread now, but was just wondering if anyone has recently got the HKSAR passport. Wife is Indian passport holder with Permanent ID (RoA). Can't stand the passport, have to get visas for everywhere so wants her to change. Can someone pls point me in the right direction. I can contact Immigration, or Home Affairs Dept. Also does anyone know how long it takes to get the passport? Does she have to give up her India passport then wait many months (not being able to travel) until the HKSAR passport is issued? What happens if it is not granted - then what is her state? Thanks

She will have to give up her Indian Citizenship on approval of naturalization. Normally takes3-4 months. 1st step naturalization to become Chinese citizen. Then apply for SAR passport. You can travel as long as the application for the Naturalization is pending. Normally to get passport after Naturalization takes about 2-3 weeks.

Actually the process of Naturalization with HK immigration takes a year. I applied and got approved.