Like Tree3Likes

HKID Eligibility Question

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Kenryu- I think the way HK Immi looks at it is as follows.
    They don't recognize your mother's BDTC at that time and see her as Chinese national, even back then. So if your mother was Chinese born here and had not permanently settled ( on a visa with conditions of stay ) when you were born in the US then you are regarded as Chinese national and can go for "yes to question (1), on ROP145 form in Section 2,"
    Sorry for the confusion. Let me clarify what I meant. I think my mother had BDTC status at the time of my birth in USA in 1986 since she was born in Hong Kong, hold a British Passport, and had HKID. My mother had a Resident Alien Card (I don't know if it is the same as a modern US Green Card. She got the Resident Alien Card in 1985) when she came to the USA in 1985. I think my mother did not have a visa to stay since she had a Resident Alien Card which entitles her to stay in the USA with no limit I think. This is why I'm think of BDTC status by descent as my route to get HKID. I'm happy if I get RTL.

Thank You for answering my questions. I am learning a lot from this.
    Last edited by kenryu1986; 08-05-2012 at 12:09 PM.

"I assume that my mother had BDTC status at the time of my birth in USA in 1986 since she was born in Hong Kong"
    And I meant according to my knowledge Chinese authorities never recognized BDTC and have always regarded her as Chinese national.

"I think my mother did not have a visa to stay since she had a Resident Alien Card which entitles her to stay in the USA with no limit "
    The " no limitation" is the killer, in that case you would not qualify as Chinese national as your mother is regarded as Chinese national who has permanently settled abroad when you were born.
    Unless your father was Chinese and had not settled, one parent does the job !

Hope you can make it RTL.

Yes, we are a great community here when it comes to ROA and related stuff.

I can't use my father since he settled in the USA before I was born. So, my only option is using my mother to gain BDTC status by descent if I read Hairball's guide correctly to obtain RTL.

Last edited by kenryu1986; 08-05-2012 at 01:54 PM.

kenryu1986,

Are you planning to come to HK any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by loun80:
    kenryu1986,

Are you planning to come to HK any time soon?
    Around August of this year.

Just because your mother is from HK and has a HKID it does not give you the right to obtain a HKID, you need to have stayed in HK for longer than 7 years, why do you live abroad and do you ever intend to settle here in HK. Why did you parents not apply for a hk id junior before you were 16 or 21?

The system changed and as Morrison said, all you need to do is enter hk for the stamp, mail the application and then fly off but TBH they really need to clamp down on this as people are getting HKID for laughs and i do not think you should be ableo to do this as it ruins the whole HKID.

Quote Originally Posted by kenryu1986:
    Around August of this year.
    you have nothing to lose by trying, if you are lucky then you will get a hkid possibly a rol status, if not, at least you tried, but chances would be far better if you possibly cambe earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxxxx:
    Just because your mother is from HK and has a HKID it does not give you the right to obtain a HKID, you need to have stayed in HK for longer than 7 years, why do you live abroad and do you ever intend to settle here in HK. Why did you parents not apply for a hk id junior before you were 16 or 21?

The system changed and as Morrison said, all you need to do is enter hk for the stamp, mail the application and then fly off but TBH they really need to clamp down on this as people are getting HKID for laughs and i do not think you should be ableo to do this as it ruins the whole HKID.
    School holidays started then.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you have nothing to lose by trying, if you are lucky then you will get a hkid possibly a rol status, if not, at least you tried, but chances would be far better if you possibly cambe earlier.
    You just need to make sure that after you hand in your app that you are able to come back for the interview when they say. When i got my call i had the choice so its not like you have to go back at x date you can just give them a time you can go back. 1* is very common for ID if your parents are chinese but you need valid reasons.

Also MovingIn07 no need to troll.

The system is changing and to be frank you should not just be able to apply for an ID for the sake of an ID, you need valid reasons (as per the interview will ask) and the checks they do will ask you where you have been in the 7 years etc. The banks changed last month, the 10 year visa into china on your hkid is no longer being given out.

There are people out there that have three star ID parents who now settle abroad but they are either not entitled to any ID or only 1* due to no valid reason apart from just wanting one.

I am currently planning to stay in Hong Kong for at least months. Recently I have been thinking that one day I might come back to Hong Kong to find work if it does not go well here in USA or if I find work at company in USA that sends employees to Hong Kong to work. Having an HKID with RTL status is a plus. Otherwise, I will not go get a HKID. It will be nice if I can find work when I obtain HKID with RTL status in Hong Kong.