Renewing Work Visa Close to Expiration

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    If you have the same employer you can renew online. I have heard it doesnt matter as long as you dont plan to leave HK during the pending period. Usually it should take less than a week.

Going in person is the best bet.

Also, I dont know if its true but someone told me that you need to update your HKID chip. I put it in the machine at immigration and I think it did it for me. No idea though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile
    As usual this is crap advice.

It may matter if you want to be a PR after 7 years as any gap in the visa can exclude you. You also don't need to get your HKID chip updated, this is just utter fallacy.

Best thing, go in ASAP and explain. They can probably get it done fast, if not may just extend you current visa for a week or two and you'll be fine. Going in in person is definitely the best bet.

Wasnt sure about that. Thank you for clarifying.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using GeoClicks Mobile

I had the same problem and actually had a gap of two days when I was working "illegally". No problems with immigration.

I forgot, really I forgot!, about my visa and was a few weeks overdue.
    I went to immigration, no big deals, the officer simply had me write a letter (that he dictated) to the head of immigration explaining it was an honest mistake.
    A few years later I got my permanent ID, there were no hassles

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    when I extended my dependent visa, the date I was given to collect my new visa was after the expiry date of the (then) current one. They said this was fine as long as I didn't intend to leave HK during the time between the two visas. Just submit your application immediately and they will get back to you. You could give them a call once you have a reference number for the application.
    So you applied online?

Do you mean it's now the 11th and you still haven't done anything about your visa which expires tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Do you mean it's now the 11th and you still haven't done anything about your visa which expires tomorrow?
    Haha, yes... But I did go to do it yesterday. I was waiting on the letter from my employer. This is how things went:

I read before that I shouldn't bother with making an appointment, so I went to Lam Tin office at about 10:30am and they asked if I had an appointment. I didn't, and they said I should have because their quota for walk-in applications for the day was full.

From there, I went to the Immigration Tower in Wan Chai, and waited 3 hours until my number got called (they told me it would be at least 2hr, so I got lunch during the wait). Upon giving them my forms, they didn't even comment about me being close to the deadline. I did have a slight problem because the business name I copied down, didn't match exactly with the one on their system ( I double checked the official one before going, so my employer must have signed up wrong initially). He said he could have given me a new visa on the spot but, because of that naming issue, I have to go back next week and give them a copy of the Business Registration. They accepted my application, and gave me a receipt thing calling me to bring a copy of the BR. He said not to leave the country and to show that receipt in case of any problems.

All in all, despite my blunders of being last minute, and the Business Name inconsistency everything went pretty smoothly... just had to wait a while (which was my fault for going at such a bad time).

So I'd advise to get an appointment if you are going to a branch other than the main one, and do it just under 4 weeks ahead of time. Warn your employer and give them enough time to write you your letter too.

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll probably apply online next time though~

Thanks for letting us know

Went back and was able to walk right up to the counter to hand in the paperwork they requested, but had an issue with my employment letter not being directly addressed to the Immigration Department, and without company stamp. But, I was able to have an updated one faxed over immediately.

Took about an hour for them to put the new sticker in my passport but thankfully now I'm clear to stay for another year. Like I already said, next time I'll do it online and well in advance