Like Tree2Likes

Visa no degree but good experience - just some advice please

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visa no degree but good experience - just some advice please

Hello everyone.

I have worked in London in the Insurance industry for 4 years. I am young (24) but held a quite a demanding and well paid job. I talked my way in without a degree or previous experience and managed to do very well (with lots of hard work of course!).
    I am now doing a 'stop-gap' living in Thailand teaching teachers before I continue with my career.
    I am interested in coming to Hong Kong.
    I have excellent references from my previous employer and some good contacts.
    Basically finding the job shouldn't be the issue here but I am concerned about the visa situation.
    Is there a chance that I could get a visa or is it as strict as say Singapore, and almost an impossibility?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed!
    Thank you for taking the time to help.
    D

if u can get a job, sure, why not, the employer will sponsor you a visa.

As Freeier says - long as you can get a sponsor why not?

I'm in the same boat as you (24, well paid, worked my way up the industry without a degree) and I got a visa.

Good luck

Many thanks

for your replies and taking the time to write.

Dan

work visa - found a suitable job but company need to see a work visa before you get the job?

Quote Originally Posted by adam65:
    As Freeier says - long as you can get a sponsor why not?

I'm in the same boat as you (24, well paid, worked my way up the industry without a degree) and I got a visa.

Good luck
    Hi there,
    I 'm also in the same boat. I do not have a degree certificate but due to proven professional abilities, more than 8 years of relevant work experience and achievements that I have got and proof of letter of consent from my present working unit, I would be very much appreciate if you could let me know how I can go about to apply for a work visa first before getting a confirmed offer of employment from the company in HK? The company would only consider and offer me the post if I have a valid work visa before looking at my relevant work experience.

Quote Originally Posted by janice77:
    Hi there,
    I 'm also in the same boat. I do not have a degree certificate but due to proven professional abilities, more than 8 years of relevant work experience and achievements that I have got and proof of letter of consent from my present working unit, I would be very much appreciate if you could let me know how I can go about to apply for a work visa first before getting a confirmed offer of employment from the company in HK? The company would only consider and offer me the post if I have a valid work visa before looking at my relevant work experience.
    Find a friend who can give you a work visa or find a HK'er to marry. The other option is to have an investment visa but assume you don't have the 5-6 million to invest to get this.

Not many choices I am afraid.

What Virago is saying is that Employment Visas in HK can only be applied for AFTER you get the job offer. There is no such thing as a general "work permit" you can get and then apply for jobs. So, if this is the situation, you have to get a visa other than an Employment Visa - such as a Dependent Visa (marry a local) or an Investment Visa (bring heaps of money into HK) or QMAS (google it).

Degrees don't mean everything. If you can prove yourself and show yourself as someone who can add value you'll get sponsored and a work visa. Good luck! I'm in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jchew11219:
    Degrees don't mean everything. If you can prove yourself and show yourself as someone who can add value you'll get sponsored and a work visa. Good luck! I'm in a similar situation.
    As you're in a similar situation and you say it can be done, why not share with the OP just how to go about it.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    As you're in a similar situation and you say it can be done, why not share with the OP just how to go about it.
    I'm new to Hong Kong myself, and although I have a MBA I am without a work visa myself. What's been shared with me is that I should use recruiters, but in the absence of a degree I do not think OP will find them very helpful. If she wants to enter a certain segment I would suggest networking like mad and using every personal and professional contact possible. Attend professional networking events, sign up with Meetup.com to meet people in your industry, create a Linkedin.com profile; use social media to broaden your network.

I was trying to be encouraging in my post, because here in Hong Kong opportunities abound. But, OP should realize that it will be challenging but not impossible to achieve her goals here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast