Like Tree1Likes

Going to school on an employment visa

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Going to school on an employment visa

Hi!

My company is transferring me here so I'll be getting my visa relatively soon. I am also very interested in getting my masters in translation studies in CUHK. I looked on the CUHK website, and they say that student visa is not eligible for employment. However, it said nothing about taking classes at University with an employment visa. So as a foreigner, can I take classes while working? I am an Australian citizen if that is any help.

I think technically you are supposed to get permission from immigration. (Same for volunteering, you cannot do that with a work visa without permission either). A dependent visa, on the other hand, lets you do anything. Bizarre really.

Next thing you know, you're not allowed to help other people either because you only have a working visa!!!

I read on other posts that you can, but only as a part time student because they don't want it to interfere with your employment. I am just making sure if that is the case because the latest post I saw on this was from 2010.

One example: there are literally hundreds of NET teachers hired full-time in govt. schools, who are then going to uni here evenings and weekends to get the needed quals (PGDE) to teach in the NET Scheme. One of the criteria to join the PGDE program is that you are already working X number of hours/week at a school (ie you have an Emp. visa)...and this is a Govt. scheme...

I don't think the permission is hard to get, but it's pretty clear in the rules that you need it.

EDIT - sorry I don't have PDLM's extensive library of immigration links to quote from. Pity you all pissed him off so much!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Pity you all pissed him off so much!
    Moving - Is that from the horse's mouth, so to speak?

(Trust that you'd know... coz hiking buddies and whatnot )

Anyway, thought his dramatic exit was mainly to do with censors...editing issues on here?

I don't think the permission is hard to get, but it's pretty clear in the rules that you need it.

EDIT - sorry I don't have PDLM's extensive library of immigration links to quote from. Pity you all pissed him off so much!
    Really? I've tried finding the relevant rules and doesn't appear widely touted...my example is actual first hand knowledge...never have needed "permission" nor has anyone i know...do you know an actual instance of someone needing permission?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by emmie:
    Moving - Is that from the horse's mouth, so to speak?

(Trust that you'd know... coz hiking buddies and whatnot )

Anyway, thought his dramatic exit was mainly to do with censors...editing issues on here?
    Editors were the final straw. I think there were other issues too. He went through a bit of a patch though - this was not the only one of his groups he flounced out of!

He went through a bit of a patch though - this was not the only one of his groups he flounced out of!
    Hmm... 'flounced'...

Revealing choice of words there - from someone who knows him...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast