Working @ home

Working @ home

If I make an income by working from home and am employed by a non HK company or self employed is that considered illegal work

Last edited by Razor; 25-10-2007 at 12:38 PM.

From an Immigration perspective then if you are on an Employment Visa or a Visitor Visa then yes. It is where you are employed (i.e. undertaking the work) not where the company paying you is based that is important.

From a tax perspective you would also need to declare and pay tax on the income in Hong Kong.

Hi PDLM,

What if the currency and bank account you are paid into are the same as the company's base?

From a tax perspective it really doesn't matter. Many, many expats are here with contracts in their home countries, paid in their home country currency, to a bank account in that country. But if they are employed in (i.e. do their work in) Hong Kong then they are liable for tax here.

This should be a good thing - there are very few countries in the world where the income tax is lower than Hong Kong, so unless you are intent on illegally evading tax altogether then being taxed in Hong Kong is likely to be the best option.

(Of course, if you are a US Citizen then you have to pay tax there anyway, but you can offset a lot of your overseas income.)

And from an Immigration perspective also, you can't work here on an Employment Visa sponsored by someone else, or on a Visitor Visa. If you have a Dependant Visa (dependant on a Permanent Resident or someone on an Employment or Investment Visa) then you can do the work legally from an Immigration perspective.

Last edited by PDLM; 26-10-2007 at 09:47 AM.