opening a bank account in Hong Kong as a tourist

opening a bank account in Hong Kong as a tourist

I am planning to stay over in Hong Kong for a couple of months. I am tourist and plan to stay this way. I would like to open a local bank account to store some small cash. Would it be possible? I am polish from my passport, however I do live in Holland. Can you advice in which bank in Hong Kong is the easiest with documents needed?
    Thanks in advance. Pearl

banking

I don't think you will be able to do this. Many people on this board have commented on the performance involved with setting up and account here ie: you need an address, a job, a work visa, an ID card etc Maybe if you have a large deposit to make they would be happy to take you.

HSBC and Standard Chartered seem to be the biggest banks here. Maybe check with your own bank to see if they are affiliated with an HK bank and if they could organise an account on your behalf.

All international banks in Hong Kong will allow visitors and non-residents to open banking accounts. Check with the bank that interests you for details. Make sure you speak with someone who understands your language, but most all service personnel can speak English. I arrived here 5 years ago and had no trouble opening an account at HSBC or Hang Sing Bank. All they asked was identification, such as a passport, and a mailing address.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    All international banks in Hong Kong will allow visitors and non-residents to open banking accounts. Check with the bank that interests you for details. Make sure you speak with someone who understands your language, but most all service personnel can speak English. I arrived here 5 years ago and had no trouble opening an account at HSBC or Hang Sing Bank. All they asked was identification, such as a passport, and a mailing address.

Good luck.
    You will now also need a proof of address.

Smile Thanks

Hi, Thanks a lot. I appreciate all the info. Pearl