Like Tree8Likes

3 star system PID.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by packy_crusher:
    No, that is incorrect. No stars has no such meaning. I have permanently residency with no struts, not RTL. The starts indicate your Chinese nationality whether you have accepted it or not. A US citizen of Chinese Taiwanese decent will get three stars when applying for AO PR.
    i have not obtained chinese nationality ( hk id does not represent nationality) as I can not obtain return home pass (回鄉證) as well as many other who are in the same boat as me, but i know that right to abode is represented by 3*** status, hairball's guide is pretty much most accurate guide to this.

A Guide to the Right of Abode in Hong Kong - HKID for ABC, CBC, BBC

just wonder, does your hk id card state right to abode on the rear?

does your card state right to abode?

also to the op, check this thread as well

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/54/thread229101.html

no it is not. i have ROA and no 3 *... i'm not chinese. and yes, my card states that i have ROA.

Last edited by carang; 27-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.

All seems clear from this chart on HKID website?

*** holder is of the age of18 or older and eligible for Hong Kong re-entry permit

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    Thanks for the clarification, packy.

Personally, I am keen with the HRP. This allows me to transfer my qualification across to the mainland, plus might be able to expand into china. The HRP will allows me to live and work in china for many years to come. I see the merit of it and of course the risks associated with it.

Wouldn't Canadian government inform the government of your other citizenship that you have acquired their citizenship? My folks in canada told me that many citizens from countries that do not permit dual citizenship were stripped off their former citizenship, thanks to such a friendly move by the Canadian government?
    No, there is not such notification. Some countries publish lists of their new citizens in a gazette, but it would have to be crossed checked and normally is not. Chian is very strict about this though, but not so much for Hong Kong as we are talking about different people. Many countries that allow duel nationality only allow it though birth or marriage. if you are an immigrant you should swear an allegiance that renounces your former citizenship. Rarely is this checked, unless you screw up and get off a plane from a country where a visa is required and you have none in your local passport. But then again, unless your second country goes to war with your first, its unlikely to be checked. it could happen for a lot less too, think Iranians living in the US in 1979.

I do not think you can live indefinitely and work in China with your HRP, but as for your qualifications, I am not sure. Legal qualifications yes, i understand, but its never going to be that widespread given the secret nature of the legal system. Good luck! and be careful.
    dear giant likes this.

packy, i do hope you mean DUAL nationality and not DUEL nationality...

Interesting reads.

I was born in the UK but my mother is from HK and my dad is from China but he did live in HK for a long while. They both moved to UK (however as to when I'm actually quite unsure)

If I can remember so far back, I think I applied for my YP's ID card back in 2000/01ish, which I then switched to the new Smart Card when I turned 18.

My date of issue says 04-00 (I was born in '87 so if it is 2000, then I would've only been like 13 (unless they mean from the date of issue of my YP's ID card))

My card has ROA on it even on the back; They really should update the website so the 3-stars don't indicate over 18+ when really, if it did, all over 18s would have it.

It's not so much as a necessity, but I just find it bloody annoying that my cousins have the access to the fact of not having to come over every 3 years just to keep their status alive whereas I have to (granted I'm living in HK now but I might move back over to the UK in the nearer future)

Plus I wouldn't mind going to China for travels and play but I'm put off the fact of the $$$ for a VISA that only allows me to cross over for a small amount of time.

** Edit

Not trying to sound like an asshat about it, but my cousins really don't intend to really dwell over here and seriously, their communication in Chinese is laughable.

Last edited by chkenwing; 28-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.

My bad. I think I'm gettin confused a bit.

Basically, British born. Holder of a British passport.

everyone has to pay for visas, i have personally paid over HK$5000 on china visas over the last 5 years, now that i have a 3 year multi visa, it's not that bad after all there is light at the end of the tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by star-anise:
    Thanks for the clarification, packy.

Personally, I am keen with the HRP. This allows me to transfer my qualification across to the mainland, plus might be able to expand into china. The HRP will allows me to live and work in china for many years to come. I see the merit of it and of course the risks associated with it.

Wouldn't Canadian government inform the government of your other citizenship that you have acquired their citizenship? My folks in canada told me that many citizens from countries that do not permit dual citizenship were stripped off their former citizenship, thanks to such a friendly move by the Canadian government?
    In the past Canada did not allow dual citizenship, but since the 70s it's been allowed, and they do not care whether or not you renounce your old citizenship or whether it is still valid when you become Canadian.

The ones that may have lost it may have lost it due to some funny rules since they started looking at citizenship records more seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    no it is not. i have ROA and no 3 *... i'm not chinese. and yes, my card states that i have ROA.
    Unfortunately no matter how hard I try to explain this, people are dead set to believe that you MUST have * or *** to have ROA, when that is not the case.

It's just most people in Hong Kong that have the asterisks are Chinese citizens that have ROA, not that every situation they have to be.
    imparanoic and emx like this.