Like Tree97Likes

Dependent visa, income requirement?

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Don't give up hope and resign yourself to being stuck with whatever cultural baggage you were saddled with as a kid. You can examine your thoughts and attitudes, identify the stuff that holds you back or is obviously superstition-based or regressive and prune it out. It's a gradual process, but it can be done.
    I find this a really arrogant and condescending comment but you know what, it doesn't matter lah. I know my life and my kids' lives will be all the richer for having been able to learn about and immerse in different cultures, and more importantly, it will hopefully teach them about tolerance, and broaden their thinking. I know it certainly did mine, and I feel it all the more when I go back to Australia and catch up with my friends who have lived there all their lives.

You seem like a genuinely sad person, surely if you are that miserable, you are better off going home. Money isn't everything. All the best to you, I hope you will be able to find some sort of happiness while you are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemma:
    I find this a really arrogant and condescending comment but you know what, it doesn't matter lah. I know my life and my kids' lives will be all the richer for having been able to learn about and immerse in different cultures, and more importantly, it will hopefully teach them about tolerance, and broaden their thinking. I know it certainly did mine, and I feel it all the more when I go back to Australia and catch up with my friends who have lived there all their lives.

You seem like a genuinely sad person, surely if you are that miserable, you are better off going home. Money isn't everything. All the best to you, I hope you will be able to find some sort of happiness while you are here.
    Tolerance is great when two people are comparing imaginary sky fathers since neither Santa nor the Easter Bunny are real and believing in one over the other wouldn't confer any sort of real advantage on the believer. Whenever the risks attending a bad decision are low or nonexistent, it's fine to not care which choice you or someone else makes.

But tolerance is a cop-out and a sort of dog-whistle word for intentional ignorance when there's actually something worthwhile at stake and information is available that can be used to make an informed decision.

Anyway, as I've said before, I am quite happy. If logical reasoning, backed up with bits of evidence make you angry and unhappy (doubting your own life choices despite protestations to the contrary?), then I'm sorry and you have my sympathies.

Quote Originally Posted by dear giant:
    Tolerance is great when two people are comparing imaginary sky fathers since neither Santa nor the Easter Bunny are real and believing in one over the other wouldn't confer any sort of real advantage on the believer. Whenever the risks attending a bad decision are low or nonexistent, it's fine to not care which choice you or someone else makes.

But tolerance is a cop-out and a sort of dog-whistle word for intentional ignorance when there's actually something worthwhile at stake and information is available that can be used to make an informed decision.

Anyway, as I've said before, I am quite happy. If logical reasoning, backed up with bits of evidence make you angry and unhappy (doubting your own life choices despite protestations to the contrary?), then I'm sorry and you have my sympathies.
    Ah, save it. I am confident I am a much happier person than you.

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10